• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My 2nd smoke...Venison sticks!!

Started by SmokyJoe, February 15, 2009, 09:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokyJoe

QuoteYou may want to use "C" clamps
Going to try that too... I'll figure something out....

RK, used 21mm casings.. I was worried abount the size but they worked very good for this smoke...

josbocc

SmokyJoe,

Great lookin' sticks, despite that bright-n-shiny smoker.  Don't worry..., she'll be looking really seasoned in no time.  I did some similar sticks a couple of weeks ago (venison as well).

I've tried the Hi-Mtn seasonings, as well as a recipe I found on-line for pseudo "Slim Jims."  My questions for you are:  1)  How long you did apply smoke for (and what flavor pucks), 2)  What internal temp did you shoot for, and 3)  What was the overall time that you left the sticks in the smoker for?

Reason I'm asking is that the recipe I found on-line said smoke for about 20 - 23 hours.  I did this, applying smoke for the first three hours, and although they taste OK, they're a little dry.

Any feedback you can give would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

SmokyJoe

Hey Jos,
  I only applied smoke for 1 hr using hickory... It was a cold and windy day and I could only hold 190F. Total time in smoker was 6hrs. At this mark the sticks were at 146F. It was getting late so I set the house oven at 350 and finished the sticks there for 15 minutes. Meat temp was 164F when I pulled them out.

josbocc

Thanks Smokey,

I thought maybe I went a little too long.  Next time I'll ramp up the temp, and just wait for the Maverick to tell me that they've hit about 160 IT.

Ordered my LEM 5lb. stuffer yesterday.  Been using a cheap grinder with a stuffing plate.  Can't wait to try the new one.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!