Question to WTS on brisket

Started by earlyman55, March 25, 2009, 01:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earlyman55

Hi Gang -

Well, I'm trying my best to turn my Bradley's walls black! This weekend, I'm d oing a 9 lb. brisket, per WTS's recipe. I'm wet ageing it in the fridge in its cryovac package until the "sell by" date. Anyway, on to my question. WTS states that the fat cap acts as a self baster. Is the fat cap the section of fat on the point, or is it the layer of fat that covers the entire other side of the brisket? Whichever one it is, does that mean I should place the brisket in the smoker with the fat cap up, so that it permeates through the meat during the smoking/cooking process?

Oh, by the way, I'm starting to believe WTS when he says that there's no other wood for beef or pork except MESQUITE!!  Alder is the wood of choice for Salmon, but it's MESQUITE for everything else! (emphasis added)  ;)

-E

Smokin Soon

Another one crosses over to the dark side! ;D Congrats WTS on your new member!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the dark side...just watch out for LQ!  ;D  Yep the side covered with fat is your fat cap, and ya want that on top.  Just as you said so that it permeates/bastes the meat as it cooks!  Good luck, can't wait to hear the outcome!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!