• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bradley Jerky Screens vs. high temp screens, what's the diff

Started by IKnowWood, March 13, 2009, 04:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

I see that Bradley now has Bradley Jerky Screens in a pack of 4.  Then there are also the High Temp Jerky screens.  Prices are close when looking at 4 units. 

What is the difference.  I got one high temp a little while ago and am yet to use it.  But I am thinking I want to get he 4-pack and use them all the time with my regular rack.

thoughts?
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

FLBentRider

I had the Bradley ones. They are plastic. I left them in the oven by accident, and my kids melted them when pre-heating the oven for a frozed pizza.  >:(

I've used the hight temp screens for every smoke since I bought them.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

IKW - I've been researching the same issue by browsing the forum and the consensus seems to be that the Bradley jerky screens aren't the best solution. Apparently the coating tends to flake off after a fairly short while.  Most of the experienced jerky makers seem to prefer to use double the number of regular trays for capacity (one inverted on the other on each shelf) with the high-temp screens/mats (They recommend the ones from Yard & Pool).

FLBentRider

There are 3 items being discussed here.

The Bradley Jerky Rack - Myself and others have reported the non-stick flaking off.

The Bradley Jerky screen. Plastic that goes in a regular (or Jerky) Bradley rack.

The high temp screens from Yard and Pool that go in a regular (or jerky) Bradley rack.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Kummok

For drying/smoking salmon, the high temp are hands down the winner, for me. I invested in 24 non-stick coated jerky racks and ended up buying a bulk roll of high temp screens to lay inside the Bradley jerky racks. The Bradley racks gave out after just a few smokes and EVERYTHING stuck to them....(probably my own fault for running them through the dishwasher!)  The high temp inserts allow me to just pick them up and dump the product into its container with NO scraping. The good thing about the Bradley jerky racks is that the grid is smaller but the "stickiness" outweighed that benefit to me....besides, the inserts have small grid also ( so slinky salmon pieces don't fall through!) 

IKnowWood

thanks for the info.  I don't do Jerky now Fish.  I am the Meatloaf, Butt, Ribs, Brisket, steaks, roasts, veggies, ABT and nut type of person.  So My issued are in the meatloaf, Butt, and Brisket for sticky and messy.  I had the non-stick racks that are now non-non-stick and the original racks that are not shiny but more copper colored.  I am just trying for something that is not sticky so much to the meat (For Butt there is not much help I figure) and not to much clean-up.  I am more apt to toss it if its a mess than to use elbow grease that I do not have much to begin with.  As it is, I am tossing my V-Pan once a year to keep from cleaning it, as it is the most elbow intense activity.  Sure there are methods that even I used to do to clean it.  but the elbow and wrist pain is not worth it.  I do not use it enough make it a Issue.  I may replace it more often if it did.  My arthritis is bad enough that I need to manage that first.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Gizmo

I did some research on the Hi-Temp Screens and several other low temp screens as well.  The Hi-Temps are far and above all else for heat capability and non-stick.  In my testing, the lower temp screens when placed on the lowest shelf in a Bradley 6 Rack, actually started to melt.  Oven temp was set to 200 - 210 degrees.  The low temp screens I had were rated at 200 degrees.  I am not sure about the Bradley Screens but would suspect they are around the same.  I also did a test with the screens on a grill.  I was surprised that it actually with-stood a lot of the heat but did actually start to break down at the end of the grilling session.   The Hi-Temp screens are rated for 500 Deg. and the Grill was running around 600 but I suspect that at the location of the screens, it was much much higher.
I use the screens on everything I do.  I even use them in the oven to keep food from sticking. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Ditto on the Y&P screens. They are great! A very light spray of Canola or Pam makes them even easier to clean. I put the screen in the rack, hold it over sink and give it a brief spray and clean up is a snap.

West Coast Kansan

Gizmo gave me a couple of screens from his research days and they were great.  Next step was buy enough from Yard and Pool that I can use them under anything that goes in the smoker.  I use them on my Bradley coatingless crap screens for my jerky as well so you will want at least 8.

They help with clean up also. They clean real easy and helps keep goo off the racks themselves.

Use two tonight positioned at an angle to catch "juice from fish" before it could hit my brisket below.  They wear like steel and the power dissolver cleaner I use does not touch them...

Good stuff.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)