• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Leaving meat at room temp

Started by RhinoDoc, January 19, 2005, 03:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhinoDoc

Most of the suggestions on the forum include something along the lines of "...pull it out of the fridge and leave it at room temp for an hour."

Is the purpose of this just so that you don't drop the BS temp drastically when you put the meat in? Is there any other purpose to leaving it at room temp? I worry a little about bacteria when you leave the meat out without cooking it, although I realize that if I raise the internal temp to the correct range it should be safe.

Pete

nsxbill

The only real reason I can think of is the cold meat taking a lot longer to increase temperature of the cabinet.  Lots of slider adjustment needed to finally get the cabinet temp where you want it when done conventionally.  

I typically don't bother.  I just set my cab temp and desired meat temp on the Guru, and it all happens automatically.  My meat might set out while the bisquette heater gets to temp and then in goes the meat, hit the advance button to advance bisquettes and shut the door.  Come back 4 hrs later and change the water and rotate shelves.

Get your Guru?  How do you like it?

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

JJC

I think Bill is right--the main reason for warming the meat--especially a large amount of meat--up to room temp is to allow the BS to come up to the desired temp as quickly as possible.  You don't need to worry about the safety factor of keeping food out at room temp for a while if it's going to get above 160-165F.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

In addition to Bill's explaination, another reason to bring the meat temperature up prior to smoking is to reduce over cooking of the outer meat. The colder the meat is before cooking, the longer it will take for it to reach the desired internal temperature, thus exposing the outer meat to higher temperatures for a longer period of time. While you have you meat resting at room temperature, you should keep in covered with plastic wrap.

You should also do this if you are cooking/roasting meat in you oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rogerdt

Also letting the meat sit out will allow the surface to dry, which will help form a pellicle.  This is extremely important for meats that have been brined, but is also important for meats that have only had a rub applied.  Most rubs contain a fair amount of both salt and sugar.  When applied and left to marinate for at least a couple of hours, the rub starts to act as a cure by drawing out moisture and breaking down the protiens.  Allowing the meat to form a pellicle is important because it is the broken down proteins in the pellicle that allow the meat to more readily accept the smoke.  I always allow whatever I am q'ing to set out for at least an hour or more and I usually have a fan moving air accross it as well.

MallardWacker

Here is my humble but often misguided .017 cents worth here.

I do leave my meat out at room temp for at least an hour.  To me this only to take "the edge" off the amount of chill that is in the meat vs. the cooking temp of the smoker.  To me it simply helps the smoker come up to temp better and legnth of cooking time.  Though I leave my meat out, I have notice that the internal temp is rarely above 42-44 deg, to me this seems safe to me.

Man, putting the Beef Ribs in BigSmoker's marinade tonight[:p].

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Here is my humble but often misguided .017 cents worth here.

I do leave my meat out at room temp for at least an hour.  To me this only to take "the edge" off the amount of chill that is in the meat vs. the cooking temp of the smoker.  To me it simply helps the smoker come up to temp better and legnth of cooking time.  Though I leave my meat out, I have notice that the internal temp is rarely above 42-44 deg, to me this seems safe to me.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Mallard said exactly what I was thinking as I read the thread. I guess we're up to .034.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">....another reason to bring the meat temperature up prior to smoking is to reduce over cooking of the outer meat.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Habanero Smoker and I'm are on the same page here.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rogerdt</i>
<br />Also letting the meat sit out will allow the surface to dry, which will help form a pellicle.  This is extremely important for meats that have been brined, but is also important for meats that have only had a rub applied.  Most rubs contain a fair amount of both salt and sugar.  When applied and left to marinate for at least a couple of hours, the rub starts to act as a cure by drawing out moisture and breaking down the protiens.  Allowing the meat to form a pellicle is important because it is the broken down proteins in the pellicle that allow the meat to more readily accept the smoke.  I always allow whatever I am q'ing to set out for at least an hour or more and I usually have a fan moving air accross it as well.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Welcome to the Forum, Roger!  Hope you keep sharing your experinces with us, and no matter how long you've been smokin' there's always tons of good stuff to be found here [8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
 I guess we're up to .034.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Tell me when we get up to .25 cents and I'l get some cheap peanuts for the both of us.  (knowing us, that may take a while)

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">....another reason to bring the meat temperature up prior to smoking is to reduce over cooking of the outer meat.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Habanero Smoker and I'm are on the same page here.

I'll third that[:D]

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
[brTell me when we get up to .25 cents and I'l get some cheap peanuts for the both of us.  (knowing us, that may take a while)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You don't boil them do you? Tried those once in Tennessee. One of the most god-awful things I've ever tasted.[xx(]

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
You don't boil them do you? Tried those once in Tennessee. One of the most god-awful things I've ever tasted.[xx(]

Kirk

Hey lets not get personal, boiled peanuts grits with butter and salt pulled pork with vinegar Q sauce.
It's a Southern thing[:D][;)]

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
You don't boil them do you? Tried those once in Tennessee. One of the most god-awful things I've ever tasted.[xx(]

Kirk

Hey lets not get personal, boiled peanuts grits with butter and salt pulled pork with vinegar Q sauce.
It's a Southern thing[:D][;)]

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I agree 100% on all but the boiled peanut thing. Everything else is [:p][:p][:p]

Kirk