• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoke Taste HELP PLEASE

Started by WanaSmoke, March 16, 2009, 01:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WanaSmoke

I love to cook and love Bar-B-Que.  Want to start smoking foods.  Have some questions?
I like jerky and stuff.  I do not like the taste of Sonny's Ribs seems like they always have aftertaste ( like they have been in a fire) also very dry.  Is this what smoked meat taste like?/ also the differnts woods does the food get a hint of that flavor someone please explain the true smoked taste.  Or is it it a fire taste, Thanks.  Sorry if anyone thinks this is stupid question.  Just dont want to waste 600.00 on a smoker if not the taste I desire, Also is Braadley good for first timers

pensrock

I have never had Sonny's ribs so I cannot comment on how they taste. But you can use different types of wood to get a milder taste if you prefer. Not everyone likes a strong smoke taste like mesquite and hickory will give you. Mild woods are alder, cherry, apple. Most smoked foods are NOT dry, if so it was not prepared correctly. To me if I taste a burnt wood or bitter taste than I screwed up.  I would suggest using a mild wood and only smoke for an hour or so till you get the taste you like. Its better to under smoke than smoke too long and not like what you made, you can always smoke longer or with a different wood the next time.
pens

Ka Honu

Wow!  That's a tall order!

First, after using it myself and reading various forums & blogs, I'm finding the Bradley Original is great for "novices."  Easy to operate, control, and clean and delivers consistent results if you pay attention to temperatures (ambient, in the box, and internal) plus it's a lot less than $600.

The quality and amount of "smoked taste" is pretty much up to you, depending on how long you smoke, what temp you smoke at (hot or cold), what woods you use, how you prep the food, etc.  A little experimentation with different foods makes all the difference (and if you check around this forum, you'll see people smoking foods you didn't think were "smokable."

If you mean a "burnt" or "charred" flavor when you're talking about "fire taste," that's not an issue with a smoker since you generally cook at far lower temps than on a grill.  You might want to buy and try a couple of smoked foods to get an idea of what constitutes a "smoky flavor" (ham, sausage, cheese, fish, etc.).  The thing about smoking your own is that you can vary the taste by using different woods and techniques and make it exactly to your liking.

Don't know what else to tell you other than read the forum for a while and find a friend who lives near you and has a smoker and try out the concept at their place.

Caneyscud

Ditto on the above answers.  Plus the additional.  If there is a definite sooty or creosote taste than is quite often due to incomplete combustion or oxygen starved combustion.  Happens on stickburners most often because the dampers are closed down too far.  Also if you use too green of a wood.  I like to preheat my next wood chunks on the lid of my stickburner so that they start burning cleaner faster also.  Dryness - as previously said is a procedure problem.  Quite often BBQ places have a big "automated smoker" where someone loads it up and pushes a button.  There are bound to be hot spots and the racks that are there are not pleasant.  Or, it has been under the heat lamps for a long time.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Up In Smoke

WanaSmoke,
been to sonny's, it almost tastes like they oversmoked,
kinda leaves a bitter aftertaste.
as stated in previous answers start with a lighter smoke, apple and cherry are a little more
forgiving. i haven't tried alder yet, but that is on the list (smoked salmon).
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

beefmann

could have not saiiii t  any better.

Smokin Soon

WannaSmoke, just do it and we will show you the way!  ;D

Caneyscud

The road to smoking enlightenment is strewn with potholes of Iceman's now-rare elixir and boulders of smoke kissed butts!  Just watch the Twirling Teabags!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

WanaSmoke

Thanks for the replys, That gave me the info I was looking for.  Now to get a 6 rack or 4 rack??
Any Ideas

Ka Honu

I don't have the digital but I'd tend to stick with the 4-rack, only because when my 4 rack OBS is fully loaded (especially with large cuts like brisket), I sometimes have a bit of trouble maintaining a box temp above 190o or so.  I'm guessing that with the same heating elements, maintaining temp might be even more difficult if I had a loaded 6-rack.  This is purely anecdotal - I'm sure you'll get more "professional" answers from some of the others.

FLBentRider

Quote from: WanaSmoke on March 17, 2009, 10:43:54 AM
Now to get a 6 rack or 4 rack??

How many you cookin' for ? I can get ~32lbs of pork butt in the OBS.

I have an OBS (4 rack) and soon after I was coveting a 6 rack. I have since added a PID to the OBS and I would add another OBS/PID rather than a 6 rack DBS. 8 racks, 2 SG's 1000 watts of heat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

IKnowWood

I agree with FL there.  4-rack OBS.  My mother-in-law has another 4-rack OBS with a seperate controller, she is not using it hardly at all.  So if I need it, I can get it and I got good smoke.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes