Draco loves to smoke

NePaSmoKer

WOWSERS

Fantastic there draco

nepas

fuzzy3955

looks great any samples

bfnish

I just used my 6 rack digital smoker for the first time and I made venison bacon and it turned out very good!

I also used Curley's seasoning and followed the instructions using 13 pounds of ground venison and 12 pounds of ground pork.

I've only had positive comments from everyone who has tried it so far.

I highly recommend.

I added some brown sugar to one of my pans of meat, and it added a hint of sweet flavor.  I used 1/2 cup for about 4-5 pounds of meat.  I made sure to mix the brown sugar well with the meat prior to smoking.  I will add 3/4 cup of brown sugar next time.

I also added some cajun spice (1/4 cup) to one of the pans of meat and 1/4 cup of Franks Hot Sauce to about 4-5 pounds of meat.  It added some heat and salt, but not very much.

Next time I will add some ground peppercorns to one of the pans and attempt to make pepper bacon.

bullhead

Looks good draco, I make allot of bacon but never out of venison. I have alto of venison in the freezer. Going to give this a try soon. Thanks for the web address of curleys sausage seasonings added it to my list of suppliers.

smokeitall

Looks great Draco.

This is one of my favorite things to make, just made 25 lbs a few months back, I have all the pictures posted here of when I did it.  I also use Curley's seasonings.  They are great to deal with, very helpful, and very fast on the shipping. 

I have always made it the traditional way without adding any extra seasoning, I am going to have to give it a try with the extra brown sugar, and maybe cajun to another one.

One other thing...Because of the cure aren't you suppose to use glass or plastic containers for the overnight storage before the smoke, or doesn't it matter???

bfnish

I used 5 glass containers for my 25 LB batch of venison bacon, mainly because the directions mentioned that glass was good, and because I happened to have the glass containers available. :)

sherlock

Looks like you cut like thick bacon (about 1/8th ") is that about right? Can it be cut thinner? Do you use it like regular bacon? Got some venison from Curley and I ordered some seasonings to try it.

smokeitall

Quote from: sherlock on March 25, 2009, 04:46:38 AM
Looks like you cut like thick bacon (about 1/8th ") is that about right? Can it be cut thinner? Do you use it like regular bacon? Got some venison from Curley and I ordered some seasonings to try it.

Hey Sherlock, I cut mine a little bit thinner than 1/8th, as thin as I can get it on my cheap rival slicer.  I use mine the same way as regular bacon but when I fry it I use some bacon grease that I keep from cooking the real stuff.  Don't let it get crispy though, it really takes away from the bacon taste.