Beef Back Ribs (AKA Dino Bones) - 1st attempt

Started by earlyman55, March 23, 2009, 05:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earlyman55

Hi Gang-
Did my first set of beef back ribs yesterday - in a word, OUTSTANDING! First, I tenderized the meat with a Jaccard meat tenderizer. Then I put on some canola oil and rubbed in some Weber Burgundy Beef dry rub that I picked up at Sam's Club. The stuff is great!  Next, I wrapped in celophane and put in the fridge overnight.

Sunday, I smoked for 3 hours with mesquite at 220 degrees, then tented them with a little apple juice and transferred to the oven for another 3 hours. Lastly, I wrapped them in foil and towels for 1 hour. The combination of the rub and the mesquite filled the house with good smells. My son asked me about 20 times when we could eat them. And my wife, (who announced the day after I bought my Bradley that she "wasn't that fond of smoked food"), plowed through them like she hadn't eaten in a week!

I was the King of the house for the rest of the day!  ;D

-E

sherlock

Sounds like another convert.

You must do like I must.................
We need a camera to post our works of culinary art
:D

Beware though, smoking is addictive and can cause your belt to shrink.
;D

Caneyscud

Yep, that's a good feeling isn't it!  Amazing how this little simple machine can elevate it's users to "King" status.  But with that status comes personal responsibility - one must remember the mantra "This is a chore, this is hard work.  Not just anyone can do this".

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Mr Walleye

Great Story Earlyman and congrats on your success!

The first of many more!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Father Tom

Welcome to the Group

Sounds good Early Man.  Will try some in a week or so.  Have 30 for ribs, chicken, salad this weekend.  Where did you find "Jaccard Meat Tenderizer"  Never heard of it.

Tom

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Father Tom

Thanks Walleye!  You must be getting a heck of a larger rib there.  The ones we get have most if not all of the eye cut off.  If there is 1`/4 inch of meat it is a thick one. 

Thanks
Tom

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NoCaSmoka

Do an ebay search for "jaccard tenderizer".   More than 2 dozen from about $14-30.

I use it to prepare meat for chicken/country fried steak.  Never thought to use mine on ribs.  And Mrs. Smoka said she saw big packs of great looking beef ribs at Costco today.  She didn't get any.  And she LOVES beef ribs.
Chris in Pair-O'-Dice

Father Tom

Thanks NCS,  Got a Sams about 50 miles from here and will drive up there next week to check.  Got 30 comming Next Sunday for Ribs, Chicken & Potato Salad + Adult Beverages.  Will be busy Later this week.

Thanks

Tom ::) ::) ::) ::)

NePaSmoKer

Sounds good earlyman. Mine are still in smoking. I also have the same tenderizer mike has. Works great.

nepas

lumpy

Just when I think I have everything (for a while) you guys come out with a toy that I do not have.
First the smoker, then the PID, then the grinder, then the stuffer, then the Maverick, then the cold smoker and jerky racks.

Good thing my wife shops at Victoria Secret (justifies my spending even though hers is ten to one of mine, the 30 % exchange rate pays for my things along!) other wise I would have a hard time telling my wife that I need another piece to the smoking puzzle.

I've only been into smoking for a year now and have to remember some of you "masters" have been smoked for years.

Thanks for all the info EH!

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: lumpy on March 25, 2009, 02:06:40 PM
Just when I think I have everything (for a while) you guys come out with a toy that I do not have.
First the smoker, then the PID, then the grinder, then the stuffer, then the Maverick, then the cold smoker and jerky racks.

Good thing my wife shops at Victoria Secret (justifies my spending even though hers is ten to one of mine, the 30 % exchange rate pays for my things along!) other wise I would have a hard time telling my wife that I need another piece to the smoking puzzle.

I've only been into smoking for a year now and have to remember some of you "masters" have been smoked for years.

Thanks for all the info EH!

Lumpy

One word

Traeger

nepas

Smokin Soon

I just keep trying to keep that word out of my head, but there it is again!!!! :o :P

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smokin Soon on March 25, 2009, 08:24:06 PM
I just keep trying to keep that word out of my head, but there it is again!!!! :o :P

;D

nepas