• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

No Power... Sort of

Started by FLBentRider, March 01, 2009, 01:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnie1

So, did you ever find out what was wrong?

FLBentRider

To be honest I have not had any time to look at it. I have been busy on other honey-do list items. Today, the thermostat, tomorrow, the garage door opener and maybe the smoker.

If I leave the screws out it works.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

IKnowWood

I had similar issue during a serious brown out (still dealing with after effects with other items [like the RV])  the smoke generator blew the 10amp fuse and the tower did worse.  Since I had them on two separated plugs, they both had problems.  The SG was just he fuse, new fuse it was back working.  The Tower was more complicated.  It kept popping the GFI.  I ended up spending a few $$ to get a new element on a chance and sure enough, new element and mounting bracket and all better.  Wish the RV was easier.  Taking it to shop Monday for a lot of work before the season starts, Power is just one issue.

So FLB look at taking out the heating element.  It solved my problem.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

FLBentRider

I'm sorry to hear about your RV.

My tower does just fine plugged in by itself.

When I put the screws in the SG and plug it in it blows the GFI. I need to disconnect the puck burner and see if that is it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

FL
i haven't had my sg apart so i don't know what is in there, if it works with the screws out, just by chance have you checked the lengh
of the screws to see if possibly there is a longer one going where a short one should be?
maybe pushing on something it shouldn't be.
not a pro by any means it just seems curious to me that it could be the burner when it works with the screws out.??
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

beefmann

flb

confirm  that the gfi is good and properly wired, on the back of the gfi t  will tell you where the black and white wires go as well as the line and load, the  line comes from the   power soarce  ( breaker ) and load ( to other recpticals ) if it work properly then check your smoke generator carefully... with just the smoke generator and be sure it  doesent trip while it is not connected to the tower.

it may be a a damaged or frayed wire, moisture, a magnetic failure in the controller or heater. you can check with an multimeter in the ohm setting between the metal part of the smoker and the wires ..do this while the generator is open and you can isolate the item easier..

hope this helps

Beef