• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

how to get soft pork skin

Started by teet, April 06, 2009, 07:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teet

I have done many smoked pork bellys, sometimes skin is a little bit gummy ( i like it ) but sometimes it is very hard. I don t know the reason. Any ideas ? Thank you

Gizmo

Sounds like you need a good lotion, maybe with a lot of aloe vera.   ;D
O.K. That was cheesy.
I remove the skin after smoking.  I have tried to make pork rinds out of them but have not had any luck with the various methods.  I have never tried eating it any other way.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Ka Honu

Giz - The big problem may be that the skin is already cooked and most of the fat is already melted away.

The way I learned to make cracklin's (grattons) was to cut up uncooked skin (with some fat and meat attached) and either
     - deep fry in lard, or
     - boil down in water until the skin was cooked and then fried in its own fat.

You might try cutting the smoked skin in pieces and baking in a slow to moderate oven for 2-3 hours.  Then let them cool and, if you want them "puffy" (like chicharones) deep-fry in hot oil.

La Quinta

I always have just pulled the fat off and cooked it at a low temp...like 275-300 for about an hour or so....and we have pork rinds...just like cooking bacon to get it crisp...low and slow...same church different pew...  :)

Habanero Smoker

Like Gizmo states, remove the skin. This is easiest when it is done shortly after it is taken out of the smoker. As for the skin, you can cut it into strips (kitchen shears work better then a knife. Freeze each piece individual, then place them in a freezer type sealable bag. Then you can use the skin to flavor beans, soups and/or sauces.

It's a pain, but I remove the skin prior to curing and smoking, you achieve greater flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)