• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sources for Spare Ribs in Toronto?

Started by Carter, August 11, 2008, 01:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carter

Hi all,

I'm kind of throwing this out there to see if anyone on the site is local to me and have found a good Side/Spare Rib source.

I usually get my Baby Backs at Uppercut Meats at the St. Lawrence market.  They're a family run business and they always treat me great, have excellent meats and give me very fair prices.  Bob, the proprieter is a heck of a nice guy and has given me lots of ideas on what to cook and how to cook it.  Plus he knows me by name and always seems genuinely happy to see me, or my wife or my children.  You just don't get that vibe from the Grocery store.

Unfortunately they don't carry Side Ribs because in the past they've ended up stuck with them.  I guess Torontonians don't buy Spare Ribs as a rule.

I've recently bought Spare's at No Frills, but they're not trimmed and so I end up doing work on them that I could do without.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  FYI, we live in East York, on the border of Scarborough.

Thanks.

Carter

Smokey the Bear.

The market is too expensive. I go to the chinese grocery stores for my cuts of meat. They will trim them just how you like them, there is one at Birchmount Plaza .
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

Carter

Actually, we've been getting a lot of our stuff at Costco lately.  We are saving a lot of money that way.  Since my post, my wife and I have decided that we prefer leaner back ribs to the fatty sides anyways, and Costco carries all of it.  We go to the one up at Warden and Ellesmere.  I even buy my Salmon there.  It's Atlantic and likely farmed, but for the price and the result, I see no reason to change.

Thanks for the post.  I've actually thought about heading down the the Asian grocer down towards the Docks.  Apparently it's great too.

What intersection is Birchmount Plaza at?  I can't place it.

Carter

Smokey the Bear.

Birchmount and Danforth, it is the same plaza with the Subway subs and the country bar. If you saw the pic of the pork shoulder i posted it was 5.4 lbs and it was $3.15. You can put medium grade meats in the smoker and they turn out like AAA cuts due to the slow and low method.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh