• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled Ham

Started by TunaHead, April 14, 2009, 06:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TunaHead

I was talking to a friend last weekend about pulled pork.  He said he knew of someone who does something similar with ham.  The guys are coming over Saturday night to watch the UFC and I decided to give the pulled ham a try.  Here's the plan... Bone in ham smoked for 3 hours in the Bradley then cooked to an IT of 185-190.  FTC for a couple of hours then pull it apart.  It'll be served on hamburger buns.

My problem is the sauce.  The ham will be salty and I'm thinking of something a little sweet to balance the salt, possibly with a little vinegar tang.  Any ideas?

Smokin Soon

Do a search on "Vaunted Vinegar" and you will get some great ideas for a sauce that has a little sweet and some "tang". I have best results with some of the Asian brands of white vinegar, as well as the spiced white vinegar. Hope this helps.

Tenpoint5

Here's a good one that I use with ham sometimes.

A Sauce better than mustard
1 cup Mayonnaise
3 tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 tbs. Worcestershire
2 tbs. olive oil
1.5 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

This glaze recipe is also a good sauce when used sparingly.

Glaze Ingredients: (Glaze is a modified recipe from Cook's Illustrated)

3/4 C. Maple Powder Sugar
3/4 C. Pineapple Juice
1/4 C. Brown Sugar, or (*1 cup if you are not using the Maple Powder sugar)
1/3 C Dijon Mustard
1/4 C. Whole Grain Mustard

Make the glaze by combining all ingredients and whisking together until well combined.

If you don't have maple powder sugar, and want the maple flavor you can use equal amount of real maple syrup, but you will need to place all ingredients in a small sauce pan. Stirring continually, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until thicken to a syrup consistency.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)