BOUGHT A FRESH 22 POUND HAM TODAY

Started by sherlock, December 17, 2008, 10:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I just got out of bed worked all night. Sherlock I'm not sure what to tell you either. I was kinda hoping you would have injected the ham two days ago. But I'm thinking along the same lines as Habs go with your plan "B". I would hate for you to throw a 22lb ham out. I knough I couldnt afford to do it. Who knows everything might just turn out perfect.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sherlock

Thanks to you all..............

Plan "B" is now in action.

Removed from brine this morning and placed on a rack over a sheet pan to dry.

Tonight, into the smoker at 225 deg. for 4 to 8 hours using oak biscuits.

Take out, let it cool. shrink wrap and back into the refrigerator.

Tomorrow AM, into the kitchen oven at 325 deg until it reaches IT of 160 deg. After resting, a taste test will determine its future fate. If it passes, it will return to the fridge until Thursday AM when it will be reheated.
Got question here. Should I take it out of the oven at a lower temp since it will be reheated the next day?

In case of extreme failure, a turkey is going into the fryer as either Plan "C" or as a second entree.

Valuable lesson learned here thanks again.

If we don't meet again before Christmas, I wish you all A Merry Christmas.

Sherlock

Tenpoint5

Sherlock I would pull at 152* IT if your gonna do a taste test. 152* is a fully cooked ham. The book says you can pull at 142* IT for a ham that is smoked but still needs to be cooked before eating. Page 301 under Smoking.

By the way my ham went in at 9 am CST should have pics about 3pm tommorrow.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sherlock

Habanero Smoker

My ham went in today, and I just started applying the smoke about an hour ago. I thought it was a 14 pound ham, but after looking at my notes it was a 20.5 pound ham, and after trimming it weighed 17 pounds.

Sherlock,

If you are planning to fully cook the ham tomorrow, to be on the safe side make sure your ham is at an internal temperature of at least 137°F, before you take it out of the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sherlock

Applied just salt & pepper, wrapped in cheesecloth, and hung in the smoker with eight hours of oak at 225 deg. last night. Removed this morning at 144 deg, took it inside, unwrapped the cheesecloth and wife is putting it inthe oven at 325 deg to bring it to 155 deg. Just licking my fingers from taking off the wrap was awesome. Can't wait for the taste test when I get home this afternoon. In the morning, it will go back in the oven just to heat to 160 deg. it up for our feast.
;D

Tenpoint5

Sherlock I would only go to 140 on the reheat so you don't dry it out. Dried out ham really sucks.

sherlock

rcger

Hab, I read your recipe via the link below.  I've got a couple of questions...Where do you find the juniper berries and what is "bruised"?  Also, where do you find the coriander seeds?  Do you buy them toasted?  If not, how do you toast them?

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 17, 2008, 02:13:59 PM
I have a 14 pound ham curing now, that I will be taking out of the cure on Friday evening. It was 17.5 pound prior to trimming. I like to refrigerate mine for about two days after I have finish smoking, then glaze it and reheat it in an oven, but I realize you don't have the time for that. But the answer to that question is yes, you can reheat it.

Here is a link to how I smoke my ham.

Smoke Cured Ham
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for this post. This reminds me that I have to purchase a fresh ham soon.

The coriander seed and the juniper berries were purchased online. I buy most of my spices from Penzey's Spices , or use your favorite online store. Coriander seed can also be purchased in most grocery stores, look for it in the McCormick Spice display. Juniper berries you may be able to find in health food stores, or stores that specialize in canning supplies, and seasoning.

To toast coriander seed or any whole spice place them in a small heavy, dry skillet over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and a shade or two darker; then remove them from the pan immediately. If you are not use to toasting whole spices toast them until they are fragrant, then remove from the pan immediately. If you have to use a thin skillet be careful. Thin skillets heat unevenly and will burn your spices before you realize it. You don't have to toast the coriander, but doing so releases their essential oils and adds more flavor.

Bruise juniper berries simply means to break them open. You can do this by placing them in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin to lightly mash them down, or place them on a cutting board or counter, and use the bottom of a skillet and press down on them until they break open. Doing this releases more of their flavor, but this step can be skipped also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 14, 2009, 02:37:40 AM
Thanks for this post. This reminds me that I have to purchase a fresh ham soon.

Ditto

IKnowWood

Have anyone been in a Penzy's brick&Mortar store.  I had a chance to go in one in Bethesda MD.  It was quite a sight and smell.  Truely a treat.  Look for the closest and plan an outing.  We came back with a bunch of stuff that I have not yet opened.  And we went last Fall.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

rcger

Hab, I recently tried your technique for a fresh ham.  That was the best ham I've ever had.  The final glaze was the best.  I'll definitely make this again.

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 17, 2008, 02:13:59 PM
I have a 14 pound ham curing now, that I will be taking out of the cure on Friday evening. It was 17.5 pound prior to trimming. I like to refrigerate mine for about two days after I have finish smoking, then glaze it and reheat it in an oven, but I realize you don't have the time for that. But the answer to that question is yes, you can reheat it.

Here is a link to how I smoke my ham.

Smoke Cured Ham
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Habanero Smoker

rcger;

I agree the glaze is real good. I wish I could take full credit for the glaze, but I got that from Cook's Illustrated and tweak it a little (very little). :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.