• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maverick ET-73 or ET-7

Started by smokeitall, April 14, 2009, 09:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

Does anyone own an ET-7.  I was thinking about purchasing a Maverick and saw that I could get the ET-7 for under $40.  The MSRP on the maverick industries states that the ET-7 is more expensive than the ET-73.  Can anyone help me out?  Are there any benefits to the ET-73 that the ET-7 does not have?

Tenpoint5

I have 2 of the ET-73's looks like the only major difference is you have two meat probes and can program the ET-7. Looks like more things to have to deal with. I would go with the ET-73 and get another meat probe. I like the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) myself.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

I thought the ET-73 came with two probes?

aces-n-eights

Smokeit, i have an ET-7 and like it.  The main difference that i can see is that there are two meat probes - the ET-73 has one meat probe and one cabinet probe.  I use one of my meat probes as a cabinet sensor.  It just hangs in the cabinet.

The ET-7 has some pre-programmed settings such as "Beef, Rare" and those might be handy.  I use mine to simply monitor the IT of the lump of meat and the cabinet temp.  It's pretty easy to program. 

I guess a nice feature is that you have the capability to monitor two lumps of meat with the two probes.  You would have to use another sensor for cabinet temp, but you could use the door gauge - after a couple of smokes you will have a good idea of the difference between the Maverick (probably more accurate) temp and what the door gauge is saying.

I think it's a bit cheaper than the ET-73 and that's not a bad thing!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

smokeitall

Thanks Aces-n-8's, that helps me make up my mind.  I don't really need the box temp probe, I would rather have the two meat probes.

Ka Honu

I've got an ET-7 and second what Aces said.  The two probes are great and, if you want to use only one, you can do it with just the receiver.  I don't usually use the clock or timer features but they appear pretty simple to operate.  The biggest advantage to me over some other thermometers is that I can actually hear the alarm (Some of the other brands are too high frequency for my hearing range).  Only restrictions I've found are not really problems for smokers; you can't use the Maverick directly on a hot grill or infrared - it may die above about 410o - or in a microwave (no, no, no).

Habanero Smoker

I have both, and agree with the others about the ET-7. I also find that the ET-7 has better range then my ET-73. Another handy feature of the ET-7 is that it has a standby mode. During long smokes you can turn off the display of the receiver; saving your battery life, and the alarms will still work to alert you if your set temperature have been reached, or have drop too low or gone too high.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

I think I will place my order tonight..Thank you all for the response, that is exactly what I was looking for.