Ribs!

Started by KyNola, April 04, 2009, 07:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Watching the Food Channel this morning.  Between a couple of shows and commercials showing ribs I mention "I would love some ribs".  Gotta love it when Jan says "Me too".  ;D  ;D Trip to Sam's, 15 pounds of St. Louis cut ribs later, membrane stripped, olive oil and favorite rub, wrapped in plastic wrap and in the frig overnight.

Can you smell the smoke on Sunday?

Larry 

Consiglieri

Made my day.

And I had ribs and chicken tonight. 

Good luck, Ky.  A nice rub, a nice night's time to season, a nice trip through the smoker, and a nice ration from the single barrel for the chef (I hope). 

Looking forward to the pictures. 

Consiglieri. 
Consiglieri

Crackerssouth

Can't remember where I saw it posted, just want to thank who-ever posted it www.amazingribs.com  (Last Meal Ribs). Folllowed it to the letter, took about 5 hours, put them on a plate and served the judge (Wife).. Got the big thumbs up. ;D  Have to admit, these were sooo good !! They should be called "to die for Ribs". Did get a bit worried when I took them off the grill after glazing the sauce, thought I might have overdone the slow cooking, they did look kinda dry, nope, they were so moist and flavourful. Once again, thanks for the link, now time to move on to the other recipes on this forum.  Dave

smokeitall

Hey Crackerssouth did you do st. louis style or baby backs?

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Crackerssouth on April 16, 2009, 05:47:23 AM
Can't remember where I saw it posted, just want to thank who-ever posted it www.amazingribs.com  (Last Meal Ribs).

Hi Dave....  I think that was me who posted that link recently....  although I'm sure others have also come across it, and maybe even posted it here before?  Anyway, you may have read my follow ups where I mentioned I dried mine out by cooking them a little too much after the apple juice phase, but it sounds like you didn't have that problem.  Were you using Baby's or a meatier/fattier cut?   Mine were baby backs, so that probably contributed to their overcooking!  I am having another go this weekend, and will be watching pretty closely.

What rub/sauce did you use?  Did you use the "Magic Dust" as suggested in his recipe?  I was going to make up a batch of Jan's Dry Rub for this weekend, but a few ingredients are proving to be elusive here in the UK.  So, for now I'm going to use my same supply of Magic Dust and just try to use a little less perhaps this time to cut down the heat a little....

Crackerssouth

Hi TDC and Smokietall....... I used baby back ribs, 2 strips. My rub is one I picked up in Florida made by an old, old butcher named Wilbur so by coincidence it's named Wilbur's Rub, just enough spice to add a little kick. I think the reason these ribs were flavourful was the apple juice. I didn't make the boat shaped aluminum foil thing, I was afraid of puncturing the foil so I lined a shallow pan with foil and sealed the ribs that way. Was easier to handle as well. Didn't have to worry about spilling juice all over the place when I took them out of the Bradley. Slapped on some Beerdelicous BBQ sauce by Ted Reader and onto the grill for the final glaze..... man, getting hungry again !! Hopes this helps ya out.
Cheers, enjoy. Dave

Just a suggestion, I usually coat my ribs with rub, then squeeze a small amount of prepared mustard over the whole rack. Rub it in,let it sit overnight, the mustard tends to tenderize the meat even more.... doesn't add a mustard taste either.

Crackerssouth

TDC...... sorry, took me awhile but found out that www.amazingribs.com website was posted by starship. Guess I have to give him credit for linking me to it. But, who knows, he could have got it from you. Nice to know we all share and the great recipes don't get carried to the grave. Oh, that was sooo sad. Smoking up a pork loin today.. Just checked the fridge, yep, got enough beer (for me).
Cheers.