Babybacks... it's what for dinner

Started by SemperFiPhil, May 04, 2009, 07:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperFiPhil

Got delayed yesterday... but did prep my babybacks in fridge last night.  I have 2 racks and my wife wanted 2 different prepared racks, so I did one rack with a little olive oil then rubbed with Famous Dave's Rib Rub and the other rack was marinated with some Stubb's Pork marinade (we love the beef marinade for our steak).  I also plan on doing some Stubbs BBQ sauce on the famous Dave's AFTER they are cooked.  I know that babybacks cook faster than St Louis type ribs so I am thinking... what... set the DBS at about 225 and:

Famous Dave's babybacks: about 3 hours of smoke, do a Texas crutch for about 3/4 to 1 hour then back in the smoker (no smoke) for about another hour with some BBQ sauce

Marinated babybacks: 3 hours of smoke... skip the crutch.. another 3/4 to 1 hour in the smoker (no smoke) with BBQ sauce ... or not... depending on what the wife wants.

Does that sound like it might work out OK?   ??? Suggestions based on where I am now before I start the smoker up? (I did want to do them entirely in the smoker and not on the grill.)

As always... thanks for all the great input.  ;)

KyNola

I'm reluctant to answer this one but the cook time on your marinated ribs seems a little short to me.  Ribs are done when they are done.  When you see the meat shrinking back from the tip of the bone 1/2-1 inch they're done.  You can check for tenderness with a toothpick too.

Have fun and let us know how it turns out.

KyNola

Roadking

This past weekend we did 3 racks of baby backs with Famous Daves rib rub. 2 hours smoke (apple) left in the smoker for another 2 hours, then transfered then to pans with a cup of apple cider in the bottom (didn't pour on ribs) covered with foil for 1-1/2 hours. Then out of the pans and Daves BBQ sauce for another hour. We like to cut them apart into seperate ribs and put them on the grill to crisp them up a little.