Using Malt Extract (Maltose) for Pork Butt/Shoulder

Started by GatorNutz, April 17, 2009, 01:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GatorNutz

I'm a homebrewer, and just an all around lover of all things malt (beer mostly, but also Whoppers and malted milk shakes).  One thing I discovered during brewing was Maltose, the main fermentable sugar of beer.  It is produced from malted barley and other grains.  It has a very distinct taste (think malted milk or Whoppers) and is a little less sweet than sucrose (cane/beet sugar).

Last year I started experimenting with Malt extracts as a sweetener for BBQ (brines and rubs), and I must say that it adds a very nice sweet malty note to pork.

Malt Extract comes in two forms; dry (DME) and liquid (LME).  It can be purchased from any local homebrew store or online.

About a year ago I tried a small can (kicker) of LME in the brine and it came out pretty good, although I didn't get much "malt" flavor. So, the next time I added two cans, and it was MUCH better. I could definitely pick up hints of heavenly malt on the exterior pieces of the butt.

But I've experimented quite a bit since then and now have my "malt method" all worked out...I now use dark DRY malt extract (DME) in the brine and also use it in my rub (instead of brown sugar). DME stores better and keeps longer than LME and it's more versatile (dissolves in cold water for brines, milk for malted milk shakes, and can be used dry in rubs).

Brine for a pork butt (7-10 lbs):
- 1 Cup Pickling Salt
- 1 Cup Muntons Dark Dry Malt Extract
- 2 Qts Water
- whatever other spices you like to use

I brine overnight in a large Turkey Freezer bag, then I remove from the bag, dry with paper towels and let it air dry for an hour. I then coat it with my DME rub after it's nice and dry.

Rub:
- 1/2 Cup Muntons Dark Dry Malt Extract
- 1/2 Cup Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Cup Ground Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper

Then it goes into the Bradley for a good 12 hours using Oak and Hickory.

The best part is enjoying the malt flavored pulled pork with a nice malty beer like Fat Tire, Bass, or Newcastle. It really brings the whole meal together nicely.

My buddy and I are going to try and figure out a good DME based BBQ sauce next weekend (in place of brown sugar). I'll post the recipe for our concoction once we get it worked out.

Cheers.

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  Interesting post. May have to try that one day.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

smokeitall

Welcome GatorNutz  :D, great name.

That sounds like a very interesting recipe.  I have a couple of buddies who are home brewers, I may have to make one of these and bring it to them to try.  Thanks for sharing.

car54

Thanks for the post Gatornutz,

It sounds very interesting and I'll give it a try. Welcome aboard and post often.

Brad

Habanero Smoker

Hi GatorNutz,

Welcome to the forum.

I have to agree that is an interesting recipe. I don't brine my butts, but may try this; or maybe try it on a picnic shoulder. For such a large cut of meat, have you thought about injecting the butt prior to placing it in the brine?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

Quote from: GatorNutz on April 17, 2009, 01:04:28 PMThen it goes into the Bradley for a good 12 hours using Oak and Hickory.

Sounds great but need to know if you did a whole 12 hours of smoke or less smoke and left it in the Bradley to finish cooking.

GatorNutz

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 17, 2009, 02:02:40 PM
Hi GatorNutz,

Welcome to the forum.

I have to agree that is an interesting recipe. I don't brine my butts, but may try this; or maybe try it on a picnic shoulder. For such a large cut of meat, have you thought about injecting the butt prior to placing it in the brine?

I haven't injected a butt (ha! brings Roger Clemons to mind), but I do inject turkeys when I deep-fry them.  Have you injected butts before?  If so, with what?

GatorNutz

Quote from: Ka Honu on April 17, 2009, 04:58:22 PM
Quote from: GatorNutz on April 17, 2009, 01:04:28 PMThen it goes into the Bradley for a good 12 hours using Oak and Hickory.

Sounds great but need to know if you did a whole 12 hours of smoke or less smoke and left it in the Bradley to finish cooking.

I usually smoke for about 6 hours because - from what I've been told - the meat can't really absorb more than that.  It stays in the Bradley for the remainder of the cooking time (12 hours total).

La Quinta

Welcome GatorNutz....you're not like a Florida Gator are you???  ???

Gizmo

Quote from: GatorNutz on May 04, 2009, 07:09:00 PM
I haven't injected a butt (ha! brings Roger Clemons to mind), but I do inject turkeys when I deep-fry them.  Have you injected butts before?  If so, with what?

Last pork butt I did got injected with Creole Butter from Cajun Injector.   I didn't notice the flavor quite as much as I did when used on a brisket.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

The Creole Butter is a nice mild injection for a pork loin or butt. I will usually add my own spices to there brews they have, and have been very happy with them. Once you get a taste of the flavor you prefer, you can adjust to your taste. More Heat, Garlic, ext.

GatorNutz

Quote from: La Quinta on May 04, 2009, 07:56:55 PM
Welcome GatorNutz....you're not like a Florida Gator are you???  ???

...does that answer your question?    ;D