Brisket Help

Started by irish_smoker, May 01, 2009, 01:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_smoker

I've got a flat that's been hanging out in the fridge with a rub from S&S, was thinking of dropping in the smoker for about 4-6 hours at 220°.  Then putting in the house oven for another couple hours at 210° (roughly following the WTS Brisket recipe from Old's).  This sould reasonable?  I'll also probably put a rack of bacon above it as well in the smoker.

What wood do you recommend?  I've got Cherry, Apple, Hickory, and Jim Beam Oak flavored (this those up a couple weeks ago at Gander Mtn. for the heck of it).

Thanks!

OU812

When i do a brisket @ 220 F cooking temp. it's closer to 18 hr. The key is the IT. I take mine to 190 F.
If you are going to finish in the oven i would put it in a roasting pan with a Bradley rack upside down add about a cup of apple juice.
Place the meat on the rack and cover with foil making sure the foil isn't touching the brisket.
Hickory would be my choice.

irish_smoker

So if I planned on smoker for 4-6 and then in teh oven for about 12, would that work?

Caneyscud

Irish Smoker

Your original timing doesn't sound too unreasonable for a flat of 5 to 6 pounds.  The 18 hours is usually reserved for a packer cut brisket - they usually range 11 to 13 pounds at my meat place.  Rule of thumb is 1 to 1 1/2 hour per pound.  I usually smoke brisket at 200 to 225 and take it to either of two IT's.  If I want to slice it, I usually remove at 185 or so - If I want to pull it apart, I will wait to 195 to 205 IT.  I like Hickory on a brisket now and then - preferring mesquite or oak.  Never had a brisket with apple, cherry, or Jim Beam - but who knows, it may end up being your favorite!  Have fun and wishing you good eats!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Eo0014

With a smoking/cooking temperature of 200-210 degrees, I would say use a formula
of 2 - 2.25 hours per pound.  Mesquite adds a nice touch to the meat.

Good luck!

irish_smoker

It's sitting in a cooler as we speak, will try to get some pics up.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

irish_smoker

Pretty disappointed with how it turned out.  It was kinda dry and after FTC the outside texture was pretty gross.  The outer bark was more of a grainy/sandy texture that was not very appetizing.  Flavor wasn't bad and several people said they still liked it, but I felt like it left alot to be desired.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry to hear you brisket didn't turn out as well as you had expected. What was the internal temperature prior to FTC?

I don't have my S&S book handy so I am not familiar with the rub. But if the texture was sandy, then you may have applied it too thick, or there wasn't much of a fat cap. If there wasn't much of a fat cap, that could account for the dryness also.

The good news is you still have "Good Eats". If the flavor is good it can still be used for chopped or pulled brisket. Just chop or shred the beef and mix it with your favorite sauce. Barbecue sauce is most common, but I have made an onion sauce with beer that is also excellent.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seemore

habanero. onion sauce would you give this out
thanks.seemore

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: seemore on May 04, 2009, 09:06:40 PM
habanero. onion sauce would you give this out
thanks.seemore

Sure; I'll try to post it this evening. I can't claim it to be mine, though I wish I could; it was either printed in a recent Cook's Country or Cook's Illustrated. I believe the recipe was Two Day Brisket. The recipe was originally made with onion, wine and the dripping from the brisket. I have also made it with beer, and like the beer version better. The sauce can be made without the drippings but it is not as favorable.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seemore

thanks habs..
seemore

Back Yard Smoker

if the brisket was in the cooler then you need to set it out on counter for few hours
from cooler to grill or smoker puts the meat into a shock

also once you have reached the internal temp pull it out and let it sit for awhile
this will let the meat draw back in the juices from the marbling.