• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Black Walnut

Started by justpete, May 18, 2009, 12:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justpete

I friend gave me some Black Walnut chips.

What should I smoke?

Is Black Walnut used often? I didn't see many post when I did a search.

Peter

pensrock

I've never used it but would think it would be good with beef.

Wildcat

All walnut woods are good on any beef.  I have only used walnut in chunk wood form.  As with hickory, pecan, and oak, it can also be good with other meats.  Would not recommend fish.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

Never used chips, but have used limb wood in my Bandera.  To me, although related to them, slightly stronger that either hickory or pecan.  Should go with beef, but I used it to smoke some chicken for fajitas, and they came out very good.  Also did some burgers over it and they were good also.  Seems to have a sweet (like hickory) and nutty flavor.  Some people I've heard say they get a strong bitter flavor from it, but after using it, I'd say it was probably one or two things - they probably think Hickory is too strong also, or they are using green wood, wood with lots of bark, or soaked chips.  So, I wouldn't soak the chips before using. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

IKnowWood

I know from tasting Black Walnut in my nose and mouth (wood working).  Its a bitter nutty wood with sweat after-tastes.  I would readily use it on Beef or long Pork smokes.  I tossed some scrap in a camp fire this weekend and the aroma came out very nutty. I got a bunch more for this coming fall camp fires. I may experiment with some on some oak or Pecan pucks  I got a bunch of scrap to try to use.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

justpete

Thanks for the replies.

Best with beef.

Use dry......don't soak.

Peter