• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Makin' Turkey Jerky

Started by Wattles, May 03, 2009, 08:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck36

Thanks for the tips Wattles. I am hoping to put them to use later this month. I am heading out for a turkey hunt. Funny thing about jerky that I have made that I wasn't thrilled with....always ends up eaten anyway!

If the jerky is too dry for your taste add some of this while eating it!

Smokin Soon

I'm with you on that one.....BURP......

seemore

:D :D :D that is good
seemore

NePaSmoKer

Hey neighbor

Put the jerky in a brown paper bag, line both sides of your vac bag with a paper towel, put jerky in bag and seal. The paper towels will keep the sharp ends of the jerky from putting holes in the vac bags. I send jerky this way to my sons in Iraq and Afghanistan when they are deployed. They tell me its still vacked tight.

Wife and I are going to the slatington carnival tonite and see if i can get with carnie1

nepas

Wattles

EXCELLENT tip NEPAS!
thanks.

jaeger

Quote from: Wattles on May 03, 2009, 01:34:39 PM
im not sure what happened, BUT the mixture was NOT ideal to use a shooter with!  kept wanting to NOT stick to itself and fall apart as i was shooting.  ZERO stickiness.
being a novice at this im not sure what the cause of that is other than lean meat being the main ingredient.

any thoughts?

I don't think the problem was the lean meat. I think when you smoked it, the meat heated up to much. When the protein in the meat heats up, it will not adhere. My suggestion for your daughters next turkey, is grind the meat, mix it smoke it and cook it all in the Bradley. It should only take about 3 hours. What I do is have one strip a little bit larger than the rest and put the probe in this piece. This way you will know that the jerky has reached the proper temp. After you have made a few batches, you won't need the probe anymore. You will know by sight and touch.
Another tip for you, no matter what kind of jerky that you are making, lay the strips parallel with the heating element. By doing this, when you rotate the racks  the strips  will be cooked uniformly.