• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Perfect brisket! thanks! (was .. How to trim a brisket)

Started by warba, May 22, 2009, 09:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warba

I'm following WTS's "Brisket 101" to try my first brisket.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7825.0

Bought a 8lb'er, but got it home and wasn't sure exactly what the "flat", "point", and "fat ribbon" were exactly (I'm probably the only person here that doesn't know one end of a brisket from another.. feel free to chuckle quietly to yourself  :o

I did the "Flexing" thing and the brisket pretty much has no resistance to bending, so I guess that's good? It wasn't trimmed at all so has a huge fat-cap and is rough around the edges.

I found this tutorial that helped explain how to trim out the fat ribbon:
http://www.azbbqa.net/articles/brisket-trim.htm

I used WTS's rub (slightly modified):
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup black pepper corns (crushed with bottom of a fry pan)
1/4 cup diamond salt
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbls ancho chilli powder
3 tbls garlic powder
3 tbls onion powder

So it's all rubbed up and in the fridge; thanks WTS for your tutorial - it has been a real confidence builder.

I'll post a pic after it's all done. Wish me luck!

- - -
Well, it's 2 days later and the brisket turned out great; I think the real difference from what I've tried in the past is the all-nighter in the 210F oven with the splash of apple juice and the Foil, Towel, Cooler FTC for the rest of the day. At 5 pm when we ate the brisket was melt-in-your-mouth moist. I've had some restaurant brisket that was a bit dry and sometimes a bit stringy and tough.. but this was perfect.

Once again great advice on this forum. Thanks!

(brisket coming up to temp before going in smoker; also being quality-control checked by our dog)

(all done and looking good)

(wife and dog both happy, couldn't ask for more)

ExpatCanadian

Good luck!  And hey... no chuckles at all from me...  I was pretty much in the same situation as you, didn't know the flat from the point AND to top it off I live in a country where they don't even call it that; brisket is brisket. Period.  So, now that I know what's what, I've been educating my butcher, and I think he thinks I'm a little bit mad  :P...  but whatever....!  One day I'll invite him round to taste the results of my labours and I suspect that will convince him!

Anyway...  once again, good luck, look forward to hearing about the results.

warba

I've also found that, since getting my OBS, my local butcher looks at me a little funny ...

Luckily he is a good sport. :)

btw: If anyone is looking for a top-quality meat shop in North Vancouver, I'd suggest North Shore Quality Meats on 14th Street East (604) 985-2412 (they only cut Alberta beef). For sausage casings, pork, chicken, etc. I go to Winsor Quality meats at 4110 Main Street, Vancouver (604)872-5635.

ExpatCanadian

Good to know....  sometime in the next 5 or so years my wife and I will be relocating back to Canada...  we're both Canadian, I'm from Saskatchewan and she's from Steveston. We'll probably end up in Vancouver initially....so thanks for the tip.