• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

BDS is on the way

Started by Elprez, May 29, 2009, 11:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elprez

I ordered it from Walmart. I know I paid a little more (sales tax etc) but they are good at taking things back if I dont like it plus no worry about damage from shipping it across country. Anyways I paid $438 for it. i noticed they also sell the biscuits so I got a 48 count pack of hickory. Total was $490. I found this forum after I ordered it and it looks great. Lots of good info here. Before I ordered I thought it would be a no brainer (load it up with meat and wood) go grab a beer tyoe of cooker. It looks like there is a little technique involved even with something as automatic as this. The only thing that worries me is that a lot of the turtorials have broad time frames. Smoke 2-4 hours or cook 4-6 hours at 220. I ordered a thermometer so I assume that is the safest way to narrow that cook/smoke time frame down.

Caneyscud

Welcome ElPrez

It's almost that simple - almost as simple as a crockpot - not quite, but close.  If you want a great smoked butt, some smoked brisket, some chicken thighs among other things, it is simple as observing a few simple rules (vent open, v-tray in correctly, water pan with liquid), sprinkling some rub on, loading up with the amount of pucks you want, setting the timer, setting the temp and then wait.  You can get some great eats that way.  But like any other testosterone driven male, we know we have a better idea and we come up with different techniques and flavors - all of which tend to complicate the process (which sometimes makes it more fun).  So like fishing where you can catch the same fish with a cane pole and an earthworm that the guy with the $40,000 boat, $300 rod, and $200 reel does, you can go as simple or as complicated as you wish.  Best idea is to pick what you want to do first - butt is a great forgiving first smoke although a little on the long side.  Read a few recipes or techniques listed on the forum or on the recipe site (www.susanminor.org) pick one that looks simple and follow it to the letter.  Don't worry, if it is a recipe on here it has been tried and will work.  See how it turns out.  If you like it bingo!  But if you are like most of the rest of us, you will want to try a different wood (I like mesquite on just about everything, but others like hickory, alder or a mixture of pucks), or amount of smoke (I like a lot while others just want a mere whiff), or a different rub (I go simple, salt and pepper usually while others like a rub with 20 items in it), or injecting (I never have, but might start next week who knows), or a different marinade etc....  Make that change the next time, and evaluate the resulting goodies, and so on.....  Then, by golly, you will have developed your favorite butt also!  The great thing is unlike lots of other hobbies, even if your experiment does not turn out as good as you want it to, it is probably still great eats. 
Enjoy your journey - we have!  Oh, and post pics - we like pics!!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard. I believe Caney has got you started on this adventure.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Welcome to the fun.

What Caney said and take note's from start to finish that you no what to change or what to add and so-on.

deb415611

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Elprez!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokeitall