• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

HELP! venison

Started by rayf01, May 26, 2009, 11:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayf01

How about the marinade question? The tenderquick is mixed in the marinade so rinsing wont it decrease the taste or enough should have soaked in?

rayf01

Well I rinsed it off and it should work good. still smells very good. Im excited its smoking right now. I cant wait till later tonight!

Using Hickory we'll see hw it goes.

rayf01

I didn't rotate racks during the smoking process which I went for 2 hours because I couldnt get the heat up for awhile when I put everything in. One peice was actually done onthe bottom rack.... so I ate it.

Pretty damn good. Slightly salty but not horrible. Glad I rinsed :) Next time I'll cut back on salt a bit because of the quick tender. I rotated everything and now i am bringing it back up to 160 for a couple hours.

Do you rotate during the whole process a few times? Everytime I open the door it takes a good 30-40 minutes to get the heat back up.

jaeger

Quote from: rayf01 on May 31, 2009, 04:16:58 PM
I didn't rotate racks during the smoking process which I went for 2 hours because I couldn't get the heat up for awhile when I put everything in. One piece was actually done on the bottom rack.... so I ate it.

Pretty damn good. Slightly salty but not horrible. Glad I rinsed :) Next time I'll cut back on salt a bit because of the quick tender. I rotated everything and now i am bringing it back up to 160 for a couple hours.

Do you rotate during the whole process a few times? Everytime I open the door it takes a good 30-40 minutes to get the heat back up.

I always make jerky start to finish in the smoker. For seasoning I use High Mountain. I like the Garlic Pepper for venison.
I start out at about 180 F for the first hour and a half with the smoke on. At this time I rotate the racks front to back, top to bottom etc. I now turn the heat up to high. I now rotate every 30 to 40 minutes. I always have a table set up next to the smoker at this point. As I rotate I take out one tray at a time and rotate and remove pieces as needed. Towards the end I might have only one rack left in the smoker and have totally moved pieces all around.Some pieces will be done in 2 1/2 hours and some 3 1/2 to 4 hours. I always lay the pieces parallel to the heating element. After a couple of batches you will be able to just look and touch the pieces to tell if they are done to your specs.
I usually have 5 pounds of meat per batch and it usually takes 3 1/2 - 4 hours total time.
I always keep the jerky refrigerated except for day trips and I will put it in a cooler when available. It tastes better and stays more fresh.
Good luck on your next batch!!!
If you haven't tried ground jerky, you have to try this with venison. I usually just add 1 pound of bacon to 4 pounds of lean venison. Use your favorite recipe and add some mustard seed. You will be a hero. I made an attachment to fit my stuffer instead of using the jerky gun. This is way easier, easier to clean up as well. I have included a couple pics.

NOTICE: Strips are parallel to the heating element.