• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Baked Beans

Started by Kane, April 21, 2008, 04:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane

hey guys,

I have a BIG party coming up. Im doing some pork butts, brats and burgers and a bunch of ribs. I need a good, easy to make recipe for smoked baked beans.

I see one on Olds Place that sounds ok.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278

Has anyone tried this one? I just want something simple but good.   gimme some ideas and Ill promise
to post pics for your drooling pleasure!

thanks

La Quinta

Gotta tell ya Kane...the best baked beans I have ever made came from an Alton Brown recipe off of the food network...but it is not quick. (And I can't find the recipe on that site anymore) but I did print it...lemme know if ya want it...it is a 6-8 hour bake in the oven. (But you could do it the night before your shin-dig? )

PS...not smoked either...just let me know...

MWS

Quote from: La Quinta on April 21, 2008, 04:43:29 PM
Gotta tell ya Kane...the best baked beans I have ever made came from an Alton Brown recipe off of the food network...but it is not quick. (And I can't find the recipe on that site anymore) but I did print it...lemme know if ya want it...it is a 6-8 hour bake in the oven. (But you could do it the night before your shin-dig? )

PS...not smoked either...just let me know...

The Once and Future Beans http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_13881,00.html

Is this the recipe LQ? Sounds good
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

La Quinta

It is MWS...I couldn't find it the last couple of times I went on FoodNetwork? Last time I could find it was October 2007. And they are really good beans!! Tried a lot of recipes...hubby is English and likes his beans on toast in the morning...gotta be good for him!! :)

Thunder Struck

I made these Baked Beans,.... thanks for the recommendation.

I took it a step further and smoked the beans (after soaking), jalapenos & bacon for about and hour (with a Pork Butt). before making the beans.....

The critic's agreed,.... they were better with smoked beans.

I also modified the following from the recipe:

1/2 lb Bacon
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup molasses

Kept everything else the same (took about 8 hr. in the oven at 250°)

OU812

I have done "The Once and Future Beans" many times with great success. Everyone that has tried them said they were great.

I brought them to my bro's wedding party and they went quick, I eaven made a double batch. Along with 30 lb of smoked butt. All were gone by the end of the night.

Rather than useing the soaking liquid I use all vegetable broth and cook them in a crock pot

I eaven have a small bowl in the frig right now.

La Quinta
I thought I was the only that liked an bean and cheese sandwich.
My wife thought i was nuts when she saw me eating it.

Smokin Soon

There must be some regional styles of baked beans. The ones with mollasses and bacon are way too sweet for me and my crew. I like the B&M brand that I buy from a local Smart & Final store in gallon cans when doing a cook for a crowd. I will add chopped onions, leftover goodies I have in the freezer like pork loin, sausage, Canadian Bacon, etc. Then into a couple of those big oval crock pots on low for a minimum of 4 hours. I do add some really zesty BBQ sauce as needed during this process. Works for me, the smoke flavor from the leftovers you add seem to transfer to the beans quite nicely, so no additional smoke is required. It's a nice day....drink a beer.....test the beans......repeat as required.

La Quinta

OU812...he is a baked bean guy...it's kinda scary...I get all of the fall out...  ???

OU812

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Beans
Hot or cold there all good.

Smokin Soon
I thought the same thing b4 I tried it.
These beans are not that sweet they even have a little kick to them.

ExpatCanadian

That recipe sounds great...  can't wait to try it.  I've tried out 2 other recipes in recent weeks, but haven't yet found the perfect one for me....  maybe third time's the charm!