• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking/Cooking 1/2 Pig with Skin Removed

Started by berdu, June 04, 2009, 11:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berdu

Hi guys,

I am a new member but I have been reading this forum for years. This time around, I have a bit of a unique situation. I have a 60 lb pig that has been split into four quarters(down the back bone and across the ribs). I plan on smoking half of this pig for a party of about 25. It looks like I can get two of these sections into my Bradley. I plan on applying a dry rub the day before and letting the quarters sit overnight. I then plan on applying 4 hrs of smoke with a temp of about 220. I would then foil/tent, add some moisture(apple juice or similar product) and continue without smoke until I reach an internal temperature of 185ish. I plan then to FTC until ready to serve. Does this seem like it would work for two pig quarters? The other issue I have is that I would like to start the smoker at approximately 8 am and feed people at 6 pm. I can transfer to an oven if I need to go to a higher temperature at some point.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Tenpoint5

I myself would start that cook at 11pm if you want to feed at 6pm. Just don't think its gonna happen from 8-6. at least not be ready to pull.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gizmo

Are the sections hanging or actually cut up to fit on the racks?
30 lbs of pig is quite a nice sized load and I would tend to agree with 10.5 that this will take a bit of time and longer than 10 hours.  The 19 hours that 10.5 mentions is pretty good and if it finishes ahead of time, heavy duty foil and into a pre-warmed cooler until you are ready to serve.  A good cooler can keep meat warm for several hours.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

bsheger

I had 5 9 lbs. butts in my 6 rack in 1 load.  Smoked 4 hours, then boated and into the oven at 220.  It took almost 20 hours from start of smoke to 195 degrees in the oven.  I let them set for another 3 hours then started pulling.  They were still 165 degrees at that point.  I do not see any way of getting them done in 10 hours.

Habanero Smoker

I recall WestCoastKansan smoke a whole pig in his Bradley, but I can't remember if he had the 6 or 4 rack. He posted his results on this forum. I would help you search but I'm rushed for time today.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gizmo

West Coast has a 4 rack digital.  He hung it from the top and it was still a little longer than what he would have liked.  After the smoke, he moved it to his grill to finish off.  The pig was a suckling so it wasn't like a whole hog.  :o
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

I would probably start the the night before and allow enough time for the smoke to roll and change the water bowl before bed. If yours is a digital, you have to reset the cook time also, as they will only go
9 hours 40 minutes of cook time. Large pieces of meat will still be hot for 2 to 3 hours after FTC.

car54

I agree, it could take 20 hours. It is better to have it done before and FTC until ready. I FTC in a preheated cooler. Why do you want the skin removes or is it allready removed? If the skin is on, I would finish it on a grill. 185 degrees seems too high. Check this post about temperatures.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=486

Brad