• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking then freezing for later grilling question

Started by earlyman55, June 18, 2009, 12:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earlyman55

Hi Gang -

I know there is a similar post to this one on the board, but I didn't quite understand the answer, so forgive me for asking again.

I want to make some pork sausages this weekend, then smoke them and immediately freeze them. I will then defrost them on July 4th and grill them.

Would cold smoking them be the way to go?  If not, would I need to hot smoke them to a certain temperature before I freeze them?  (If I'm going to grill them later on anyway, why would I need to be concerned about the temp while they're in the smoker?)

And one other question while I'm bending your ear, I have some hog casings left over from my last sausage making event. I froze them and was planning on thawing them out and using them this weekend. Is there any harm in that?

Thanks, everyone!

-E

Smokin Soon

Kind of need more details here. Were they smoked-cooked or were they just cold smoked. Was there a cure in the mix? Lots of help on sausages here.

earlyman55

OK -

What I need to know is what the best approach would be.

1. Cold smoke raw sausage links, freeze them, then thaw a couple weeks later and grill normally.

2. Hot smoke raw sausage links to a specified I.T., freeze them, then thaw a couple weeks later and grill normally.

As far as using a cure is concerned, I have only used it when making pastrami. (I use Morton Tenderquick). What would be the reason for using it in sausage making, if I'm going to be grilling the sausage to an IT of 160?  AND, if there is a good reason for using it, where can I find a recipe for using it?

-E

Tenpoint5

The use of cure in sausage making is to prevent the formation of the nasties (Botulism for one) that form in uncured meats while they are being smoked. Most use Cure #1 or Pink Salt in sausages that are going to be smoked and used later.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

Most sausages are not smoked at high temperatures, hence the reason for the cure.  All of the sausage I make use cure, whether it be summer sausage, snack sticks, or fresh sausage that gets cold smoked.  The only exception is non smoked items like brats or something like that, for these I grind the meat, mix the ingredients, and stuff, Then I either grill them or freeze them.

So to answer your question if you are going to make a fresh type sausage and cold smoke I would use a cure.  If you are going to hot smoke and not use a cure I would make sure that your temperature stays 225 .  The only thing I would be afraid of with hot smoking and then freezing for later grilling would be that the sausage might dry out some (but I have never done it so I could be wrong).  Personally I would use a cure, cold smoke for 60 minutes or more depending on your amount of smoke flavor you want, vac seal and freeze.....then thaw, grill and, enjoy.  Others may chime in and let you know whether or not you HAVE to use a cure if you are only cold smoking for such a short time.

Habanero Smoker

Smoking uncured sausage below the temperature of 225°F it not recommended. Smoking between 140°F to 160°F will keep the internal temperature of the sausage in the danger zone for way too long of time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

Yeah what habs said.  I fixed my post and re-wrote it after I realized the original temps I put in there.

earlyman55

Thanks for the info, Guys -

So, if I use cure in the sausage mixture, how long should I cure the mixture in the fridge, before I stuff the sausage and smoke it?

Also, from my original post, is it ok to use the frozen casings I have in the freezer?

-E

Habanero Smoker

After you have mixed the cure into the meat well; you can stuff immediately and begin smoking, but I like to have it "rest" 24 hours; just my preference. For pink salt (cure #1) you only need 1/4 teaspoon per pound, for small amounts; or 1 teaspoon per each 5 pounds.

I have never frozen casing. As far as safety and health; they will be alright. Since I have never handled  thawed casing that have been frozen casings, I don't know it that can damage them or not.

Were they fresh casing or were they packed in salt? If they are packed in salt there in no need to freeze them they have almost an unlimited self life if packed in salt and refrigerated.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

earlyman55

Habs and Smokeitall -
Thanks for the info; I ordered some pink salt today. Yes, the casings were fresh. I haven't thawed them out yet, so I don't know how they'll hold up - I'll let you know.

Thanks again!

-E

Habanero Smoker

The fresh casings are good because you don't have to soak them and do much to prepare them. But if you have to store them for any length of time it is best to put them in a plastic air tight container and cover them with salt, and keep refrigerated.

I
         don't
                   inhale.