• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

looking to buy a smoker

Started by canada, June 17, 2009, 02:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canada

Looking for help from the experts....

Which smoker should I buy...the digital vs the non??
Also are the wafers just a way to make money down the road from bradley??
Are they worth it when comparing the bags of wood etc that one can buy?

please advise.
Thanks

OU812

canada

Welcome to the fun. I have the digital, the reason I got this one is cause I like the fact that you set the temp and when the product and the cabnet get closer to the set temp the cabnet holds the temp where you set it. Well fairly close anyways and the smoke generator you can set the smoke time to shut off at the given time. With the original it has an rheostat that you have to readjust as things get closer and there is no timer on the generator.

Now if you want even closer temp you can get a PID with the original and you can beat the digital or the PID with the digital and you have the best of both worlds. It will cost a little more but what the ha.

It also depends what you plan on smoking weather you really need the PID. If its brisket butts turkey and stuff like that you really don't need the PID. If you plan on doing sausage and stuff like that then maybe.

And for the "wafers" you only need about 3 to 4 hr smoke and the rest is cook time. For me I mostly smoke for 3 hr than the rest of the time is just cooking and that breaks down to $3.00 per smoke.

I'm sure someone will be along and break it down even more for you.

By the way I do have a PID and do alot of sausage

canada

perfecto!!

Now to decide btw the 4 rack or 6...
I am assuming more fuel will be needed for the 6, and prob is not worth the space unless filled right up right?

I will be mainly smoking wild meat, fish, etc.

Where is the best place to buy from, keeping in mind that shipping will be up into canada.

Thanks again.

KyNola

Oh Canada(sorry, couldn't resist.  National anthem if I recall)
No additional fuel is required for a 4 vs. a 6.

Can't help with the best place to buy with shipping to Canada.  We have many member friends from Canada on board.  They will be along shortly.

Mean while, welcome to the family.  It is so much fun and we are all here to help you.

KyNola

drano

canada
I'd look at 2 things for which one to buy.
1.  Size - if you need a bigger smoker, the digital 6 rack is bigger.  Try to decide what you will smoke, and therefore what size.  I've got the OBS, and like the Original, but now I smoke sausage, and the 6 rack size would hold more snack sticks, smoked kielbasa, etc. 
2.  What will you smoke?  If its not sausage, I'd recommend the digital because the DBS temp swings are not critical for pork butt, brisket, chicken, etc. 
But if you start making sausage (its soooo good!), a PID is very helpful (but I won't say required).  Getting sausage up to 152 deg w/out melting the fat means we want to hold the temp at about 175 (180 max).  If the temp swings well below this in its cycle, your cooking time increases.   A PID at 175 +/- 1 deg is a nice way to get sausage up to temp.

For me, a 6 rack OBS would be great (but not made).
OK, sorta long post, but standard answer--it depends on what you will smoke w/ it.

get smokin
drano

canada

All very helpful!!!
Thank you.
I will have more ?s when I get it.
Now just shopping for good price on the 4 or 6 rack dbs.

Does the stainless get fairly dirty?
Thinking better off with black.

Tenpoint5

If you think that you will Only be doing wild game and fish. (Which I highly doubt) The DBS4 will be just fine. I have the DBS4 and bought it to do the same things you are planning on doing. Then I tried pulled pork one day and well to keep a long story short. You will use your smoker for just about everything!!
I believe that some of our Canadian friends have mentioned Canadian Tire is a place to look.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

canada

You may be right on that one...would like to smoke other things.
Told the fiance last nt everything in the house will be smoked..ha ha.

They have it at Can tire for 500.  Just shopping around now.
I found it online for 400, but the duty, and shipping would probably bring that up.

canada

HOw many wafers do you need for a smoke?

deb415611

It depends on what you are smoking.  I think most people use 2 to 4 hours of smoke.   Each bisquette is 20 minutes so 6 to 12 per smoke.