• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rib Rub

Started by canada, June 25, 2009, 07:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canada

Is a rub necessary?
If so what is best on them...I used some black pepper/paprika/onion powder/garlic salt, they were great, but think would be just as good with less spice, maybe some black pepper and just a heck of a lot of smoke?

Should any sauce be used during cooking?
thx

KyNola

A rub is not a necessity and is used as a flavor enhancer and depending on the rub contents possibly a mild tenderizer.

Like wise, sauce is not a necessity.  Many prefer their ribs dry.  If I use a sauce, it is towards the end of the cooking period and put on and exposed to the heat just long enough to "set" the sauce.

Experiment and find what you like best.

KyNola

canada

thanks.
Whats good rub that is not to overpowering?

westexasmoker

Quote from: canada on June 25, 2009, 09:15:45 AM
thanks.
Whats good rub that is not to overpowering?

I use the willys one-derful from the S&S book on pretty much everything!  McCormick makes some pretty decent store bought, or Stubbs is good also!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

KyNola

Canada,
look in the recipe website for Jan's Dry Rub.  Jan(my wife) and I came up with this recipe.  Granted it has 14 ingredients in it but it is a good all around rub.  Made it primarily for chicken and then learned other members were using it on just about everything, including ribs.

The recipe website is www.susanminor.org

KyNola

deb415611

Canada,

2nd the Jan's rub suggestion.  Which reminds me, I need to make some more.

Deb

lumpy

After you have been smoking for a while, the rub becomes very personal to you.
Case in point KyNola and his wife made their own rub. I also have perfected my own rub which I use for 90% of my meats. My rub has 12 ingredients in it. I always have plenty stored in the freezer.

Try them all out, you will have your favorite after awhile.

Lumpy

Smokin Soon

There are soooo many good commercial and home rubs out there. I love Jan's Rub, Bad Byrons, The Dizzy stuff and McCormick's as well. Just gotta follow the taste buds I guess. I like to rotate them so my cooks do not get a similar taste. I do have friends who prefer just a salt and pepper rub before cooking. For me I like to jazz it up! ::)

Buck36

I use a variation of Steven Raichlen's rub but simple can be a nice change of pace too.

I have fantastic ribs that were just a salt and pepper rub. I squeezed lemon juice on top of them after they had crusted up some on the grill.