Smoking Baby back ribs early

Started by jdallinger, June 25, 2009, 07:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdallinger

I am having a wedding this summer and am planning on smoking ribs, brisket, turkey, and chicken.  I need to do some early so I can complete all the things I want done.  I know I can do the turkey and chicken early, but will ribs be ok if aI smoke them early and then refrigerate and then grill on the day. I am thinking about doing them on Monday or Tuesday for Saturday.  Has anyone done this successfully.  Thnak you.

Gizmo

Yes they will be great finishing on the day.  Many believe they are better as the smoke seems to be more prominent.  I haven't really noticed as I am always too busy just chowing down.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Giz is right on track. I like to prepare for a big cook with a bunch of ribs cooked and smoked and vac-sealed. Throw on the grill and re-sauce and be the hero!

Buck36

I do mine like this quite a bit. I like to have the smoker full so I am not wasting pucks. I vac seal them and throw them in the freezer.

Pull them from the freezer to thaw and on to the grill. I sauce them then and by the time the sugar carmelizes they are up to temperature. It couldn't get much easier as far as the timingand you look like a pro.

I would actually encourage you to go this route if it is for a wedding. You don't want any surprizes the day of the event. Ribs are always finicky so you have plenty of time to correct any problems with a Mon/Tues smoke. Even better try a practice run now with one rack and you will have your answer for whether you care for it.

Habanero Smoker

I agree with all above. When planning for an event, I always prepare most of the food ahead of time. If it is going to be used in a short period of time, I would not vacuum seal it.

Tip: if all the food is cooked ahead of time, and you have a temperature control device you can use your smoker to hold hot foods at 140°F, until they are served. Often I will have more food available then can be put out at the moment, or to be safe I don't put out all the food at once, and replenish it as it gets low. This only works to keep foods warm. You should always reheat the food in your oven or over a grill.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)