• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Another Newbie question

Started by oscarb, July 07, 2009, 06:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscarb

As stated in a post below, I just received my new Bradley Jim Beam digital smoker. I can't wait to try it.  Being new, I do have some quick questions though.  I have ribs and a Pork Lion ready to go.  I would also like to get a brisket so I can maximize my use of the of the smoker each use.  I do have some quick questions though:

1. Is 3-4 hours of smoking enough to penetrate through a thick 12-14lb pork lion from Sam's club to give it strong smoked flavor?
2. For the Pork Lion and Brisket, do you smoke it only for the first 4 hours with lower heat at say 150 degrees? Then raise the temp to 200 to finish?
3. How important is it that you marinate or cure the meats overnight for the pork lion and brisket rather than a few hours that same day?
4. Finally, I assume if you have a full smoker with Ribs, Pork Lion and Brisket, that the stuff on the bottom will finish quicker, so in my case I would probably be best leaving the Ribs on top?  Would I swap the positions of the Pork Lion and Brisket part way through cooking? Does it matter?
5. Do you only smoke for the first few hours? DO you ever smoke for the last couple of hours to give the outside of the meat added taste?

I know its a lot of questions, but I really appreciate the help being so new to this. I am sure some of it will come with experience, but I don't want my first try to be a total disaster and I have found the forums to be almost information overload. Thanks again,

Oscar

Caneyscud

Great questions Oscar.  

First off, pork loin is not usually smoked for pull apart.  Loin is very lean and there is not enough fat to stand up to long cooks - it will dry out before it gets "fall apart".  Besides it is tender enough on it's own that you don't have to "low and slow" it to make it tender.  It is however, great for slicing or stuffing and slicing.  A loin only needs to be taken to an IT of 140 to 155 before taking it out.  Pull apart on most meats is 185 to 205.  

1.  Yes 3-4 hours is enough, but you might have to experiment to see if you like less or more.  Many like less smoke on the loins, and say 2:20 to 3 hours is enough.  Anyway, much over 5 hours of smoke in a Bradley and you have the Law of Diminishing Returns coming into effect.  After 5 hours the increase in smoke flavor is negligible.  
2.  225 - 250 or so for the entire time.  Preheat to 260 to 280, put the meat in then set the temperature to 225-250.  Putting the meat in will lower the cabinet temp, so the higher preheat will help counteract this loss.  
3.  I don't bother marinating a brisket - it has plenty of fat content, so not necessary, unless you are trying to infuse it with some other flavors.  I like to enjoy my brisket simple.  Meat, salt, pepper, smoke - and oftentimes a mop.  Others do great brisket differently - I just prefer simple.   Now the loin, can be improved, by marinating or brining.  It is naturally very lean, and the marinade or brine can help keep the loin moist.  
4.  In that instance, I would probably leave the brisket on the bottom, ribs in middle, loin on top.  The brisket will stay on the bottom- away from the back wall - until the loin and ribs are done, then I'd move it up for the completion of its cook.  Just as an aside, with that much meat in the smoker, you are in for a long cook.  Initial heat recovery will take a long time and that bottom rack will be blasted with the element being on for so long, and the brisket can usually take it especially with the fat cap down.  Then when you move it turn it over so the fat cap is up.   IF you set temp at 225, the loin should be done first - in 4 to 6 hours. Ribs second 5-6 hours, the the brisked - depending on size 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound (used to say 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound, but it seems like every one I've done recently takes at least 1 1/2 per pound).
5.  Most on here will only smoke the first few hours, foil or foil and put in the oven.  Then some will finish on the grill/smoker/Big Easy to firm up the bark.  I have smoked the last couple of hours a time or two but only after sprinkling some more rub or salt and pepper on before smoking.  The salt seems to allow the meat/bark to absorb/receive more smoke flavor.  I don't do it often, but there are times, I will cook a brisket in the oven first and finish in the smoker.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

oscarb

Thanks for the replies, can't wait to try it.  I have a questionable heart, but I love BBQ, so that is why I had been using pork Lion in a crock pot for my pulled pork before this.  It seem to be much leaner and less liquid fat built up around it, so it always provided a great way to reduce the fat intake.  I will try some butts, maybe since it is a smoker, the fat will melt and drip off instead of building up into what becomes that yellowish fat that just sticks to the pork when you refrigerate the left overs.  If being able to have that dip down off the pork in the smoker solves that, I will be a happy man ;)

Thanks again for your replies.

Caneyscud

Ok, now I see where you are coming from!  Sliced, smoked loin is good eats BTW.  However, why not try 2 hours of smoke, and finishing it in the crockpot to see how it turns out!    Or after the initial smoke, you might try putting it into a foil pan with some liquid, sealing it in foil and putting it back into the Bradley or into the oven to see if that will get it pull apart without drying it out.  Never tried it, but worth trying on a part of a loin.  I like to butterfly one, stuff it, then smoke it.  Speaking of the butt, the fat does render, but it doesn't render completely out. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Oscar,
After a lenghty argument about destroying a really good piece of meat. I did smoke and pull a loin for my little brother. Smoke at 225* until IT of 145*, wrap in foil with a splash of Apple Juice. Continue to cook at 225* until IT of 190-200* Then FTC for 1-2 hours. The loin will shred quite easily for you. I still say use a Boston Butt for pulled pork.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

I have done loin in a crockpot also and it comes out very good, but I agree a butt just seems to have a little more flavor. IMHO

If you want a stronger smoke flavor try using hickory or mesqute and smoke for five hours. I like apple or hickory with pork.
I smoke at 200-220 the same as the cooking temp. But like was stated preheat to 260 or so, that way it will recover faster after opening the door and putting all the meat in.