• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Landjaeger

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 13, 2009, 08:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

Nepas has posted his Landjaeger recipe before, here it is:
Not sure if this is the one he used on the above but it sure does look good....

Here is a Landjaeger recipe for ya.

2 1/2 lb pork shoulder
2 1/2 lb beef roast (90% lean gb will work too)
7 tsp salt
4 tsp dextrose
5 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp cure #2
1 Tbs caraway seed
1 tsp ground coriander
3/4 tsp garlic powder (or more to your taste)
1/8 tsp starter culture (encapsulated citric acid)
Hog casings 32 or 34mm

Grind beef and pork through a 3/16 plate (fine) Place meat in a mixer, add salt and cure and mix for 5 mins. Add the starter (dissolve in 1/4 cup water) and the rest of the seasonings. Mix well for 5 mins to form a paste like.

Meanwhle soak the casings in ot water for 1 hr. After casings have soaked cut into 12 1/2" strips. Tie one end off with twine. Stuff the casing to 5 1/2" twist in the middle and stuff the back end to 5 1/2", tie off the end. Repeat untill all the meat mix is gone.

Place sausages on a baking tray then place another tray on top of the sausage. (cookie sheet trays) Place a heavy pot or brick on the top tray to flatten sausage about 1/2" thick. The sausage should ferment in the trays in a 80* F area to allow them to get flat and firm. This takes 2 days.

At the 2nd day mark remove the top tray and allow to sit at room temp for 4 hrs. Turn landjaeger over and replace top tray and weight, return to the 80* temp for another day. After the last day of fermenting  (the sausage should be 1/2" now) remove from trays and prepare your smoker. Use hickory or oak and smoke at 95 to 105* for 4 hrs. Longer if you like more smoke.

After the landjaeger has smoked, leave them in the smoker for 6 hrs (no heat) After the 6 hrs bring in house and allow to air dry for 10 days in a 60* enviroment. This is the hard part to do. I use a small wine fridge. I can get the 60* and 50% RH.

dilly

Thanks...looks pretty advanced for my freshman skill level.  Good one for the future though.
My meat goes from field to table by my own hands.