• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Half burnt Pucks

Started by Darren, July 08, 2009, 06:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren

Hi all
Appreciate your help Please.

I have just received my  BD6RS and have started the seasoning process however the pucks are only being burnt 1/3 to 1/2 way after 20 minutes which are then being advanced into the drip bowl.
I have the smoker at 200f and have pre heated the SG for 40 minutes pror to putting the pucks in but can't seem to work out what is wrong.

I have also used my Maverick probe to check the SG element temperature and it is reading between 280 to 300f
???

Trying to Smoke in South Korea

OU812

Morning

What wood were you useing?

I have had that problum when useing some of the harder woods like Oak.

Darren

Thanks for the reply.
I have used apple for the seasoning smoke, but I have just looked at all of the different flavours of pucks I bought and it seems that they are more compressed than normal (I have a BD4RS back in oz) so I am not sure if this is the problem?

I have also just done a more detailed temperature check on the SG burner and it is heating up to 400f+ in around 7 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Caneyscud

Sort of a dumb question but have you timed it to be sure they are there for the entire 20 minutes?  And I agree with OU, my harder woods, don't seem to burn completely.  Used some hickory this weekend and a few were maybe 80% burned.  Have not had that problem with , mesquite, apple, or pecan.  I wonder if humidity has anything to do with the pucks.  Is your vent open?  Have your pucks been exposed to wetness or lots of humidity?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Darren

Hi Caneyscud,
I actually thought about timing the advance mechanism timer but thought it is a new unit so it should be set correctly, I will time it tomorrow and post the result here.
The pucks I am using only arrived this Tuesday and are new and still in there original sealed packets so I would be surprised if they have gotten damp, but in saying that it has been quite humid here lately, I have also tried with the vent half and fully open.

I might try again tomorrow with a different wood and put them straight into the smoker after the warm up and see if that makes a difference.