Pulled Pork - Country Style Ribs

Started by gscheig, April 28, 2008, 11:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

The longer I kept reading these posts the more anxious I got waiting to see a photo.
I can only imagine.

Lumpy

Mulla

Alright, so after looking at the sales for .99/lb country style ribs I couldn't pass it up either.  While it didn't turn out quite like pulled pork I would say that it was definitely a cross between ribs and pork chops.  Let me first start off by saying that the meat was cut up pork shoulder you can even see the blade in the pic.  Not sure if that helped out the tenderness factor but since there was so many people that had mixed reviews I thought I would put that out there.  Here was my recipe...

I used the CYM method and slathered it up two hours before smoking and then threw on some of the rub.  In most situations, cooking big slabs of meat I would put my rub on using a very heavy hand.  In this case there is so much surface area that I would use a little less than normal.

Into the smoker for 2.5 hours with hickory, I put the heartier pieces on the bottom rack and the boneless smaller pieces on the top.  I cooked 10 lbs and it took up three racks.

After the smoke I boated with AJ and threw it into the oven at 225.  I took it up to 180 IT and it still felt way too firm and the meat was barely pulling away from the bone.  I figured that this is where most people probably took it out and that is where they got the pork chop taste.  So I left it in until it reached 200-205 IT, at this point I was a little worried that I just wasted 10 lbs of meat so I was glad that the 17 lbs brisket I did the day before came out so well.  In any case I FTCed for 3 hours and then straight into the fridge, still had massive amounts of brisket leftover from the 4th.  Well I finally pulled the country style ribs out of the fridge and nuked them at work.  They were surprisingly good, albeit I wasn't holding out to much for them.  Again, there flavor was just like some tender ribs but there look was right on pork chops.  They were still moist and pulled right away with just the fork.

Here is the pic Lumpy, right from the fridge.

lumpy

Thanks Mulla
It was worth the wait. ;)

Lumpy