Pork Butt Questions

Started by swseitz, July 10, 2009, 04:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swseitz

I bought two roasts today.  One was called a "pork leg butt portion" and the other a "pork leg shank portion", both with bone in.  Am I using the right stuff for pulled pork?

Also it is wrapped with string.  Is this normal?  The shoulder picnic roast I smoked the other day had string and I left it on but I was wondering what everyone else does?

seemore

sorry I can not help but I think you got A picnic roast ???
seemore

Habanero Smoker

They are both ham cuts. When "leg" is referred to on a cut of meat that comes from the rear portion of a four legged animal. So a pork leg shank portion, is the shank portion of a ham, and the pork leg butt portion (the lower part of a whole ham), is the butt (or rump) portion of the ham (the uppper part of a whole ham). When you see reference to arm and shoulder those cuts come from the front legs.

Ham should not be cooked to the point that it can be pulled, it just drys out and becomes stringy. If it is fresh; you don't have to cure it. You can smoke some fantastic fresh ham. Flavor it with your favorite seasonings (brining and injecting are also possibilities), and smoke/cook it until it reaches 152°F. Then slice and serve. If you want to take the time to cure them, this link will may help.
Smoked Cured Ham

Usually you don't see a bone in roast tied with string on in netting. They probably did it to shape it, and it should cook more uniformly when tied. It is perfectly safe to smoke/cook with the string on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)