• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

hey all, question from a first timer

Started by skrubrack, July 21, 2009, 07:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skrubrack

Hi all,
Am doing my first smoke today, got 2 butts in the OBS hopefully in their final stage of cooking.  They are at the 12 hour mark. I have the cooking temp at 210 215 and the IT is at 175. How fast will the IT rise when getting near its done stage?  Being my first time i would hate to over cook them.  I only have a manual thermometer at the moment. Should i check the IT hourly or 1/2 hourly? 

Thanks,
Skrubrack

Tenpoint5

About the 14-15 hour mark you should be in range 190 ish as a guess I usually run to 208  around the 16-16.5 hour mark. Don't worry Butts are pretty forgiving anywhere from the 195-210 mark and you will be fine. Just don't burn your tongue with that first piece. As a minimum let the buttt sit in foil for an hour on the counter and then 20 minutes with the foil cracked open to allow the steam to release and the butt to pull all the juice back in. If you dont have bear claws try cotton gloves inside of rubber gloves to help the pulling process. Or use two large serving forks.

Oh yeah Welcome Aboard!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Skrubrack,
Welcome to the forum!  I would check the IT every half hour as 175 is when Habs pulls the meat when he does butts.  I take mine to at least 185 and prefer to go to 190 or so.  You're doing great, Hang in there.  Butts are done when they are done.  Don't rush it.  You're very close to pork butt nirvana.

KyNola

skrubrack

Thanks for the quick replies Kynola and 10.5.  The smell around my house is AWEsome and having trouble keeping my stomach from rushing things.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum skrubrack!

As previously stated, butts are very forgiving. I take mine to 190-200 . 18 hours is the usual finish time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun

Like others have said pork butts are very forgiving and you have to try hard to mess one up.

I would check it in a hr to see how fast it is riseing then if it is going up fast check in a half hr if it is not riseing very fast go another hr.

I like to take mine to 190 F but thats just me.

Caneyscud

I know that this is a little late, but "Don't Worry - Be Happy".  Butts are a breeze and you are on your way to some good eats.  Usual smoke goes quick to 150 or so, then stalls (the Plateau - that wonderful and mysterious time that butt is working it's heart out trying to make you, your family, and your guests happy by becoming juicy and tender,) to 175 or so and then raises somewhat quickly (at least quicker than the plateau) until time to take it out of the smoker.  Great advice by the previous posters.

And welcome skrubrack to both the forum and the fun and the nectarous delights of smoking your own Butts.  Please ask any questions that you may have.  You will not find any link to Smoker's Anonymous though - cure is not a word that we acknowledge unless is deals with bacon and as pointed out, sausage, corned beef, lox, and other delectables!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"