• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Can I Use it on My Porch?

Started by Chaostrophy, July 16, 2009, 11:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaostrophy

Hi I have been considering the OBS for some time now. I would like to keep it on my front porch. I'm just wondering if it is safe to use it on the porch? The floor of the porch is concrete but I'm concerned about having it so close to the house. Also would I be able to keep it out there during the winter months or would it get damaged?

Thanks for any input,

Greg

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Chaostrophy!

I have been using mine on my back screened porch for 2+ years.

Other than "toddler vandalism", no issues here. I keep it covered when not in use.

Winters here are in the 40's, (maybe) so I can't speak to conditions harsher than that.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun

The winters are quite a bit colder here and I bring the generator into the basement when done.

The moisture from the smoker will freeze in the generator causing the pusher to stick and not want to advance a puck till it thaws out.

Possably striping the gear in the motor.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Chaostrophy;

Welcome to the forum.

I live in upstate New York. I keep mine on a cart that is located on my rear deck, which is wood; all year round with just the Bradley protective cover. I have the OBS, and leave the generator outside as well. On real cold day I let it preheat with the generator off, the cabinet temperature will provide some heat to the generator. After 30 minutes or so I then turn on the generator. Also if you keep it outdoors, do not let snow build up and remain around the smoker. Just clear it away, as well as clear off the top.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

I will chime in here too. The Bradley smoke has 3/4" of insulation between the smoker walls. I have even picked up my Bradley while its on. The exterior just barely gets warm. I have had mine within 3" of the siding of my house with no issues. If your going to keep your smoker outside it is a good idea to buy the cover for it.

I have done what Habs does, in cold snowy days here in NE PA i pre heat with my gen and when i do a smoke i use higher temps. I use a PID for heat control but in cold weather it is kinda slugish so i have to warm the probe with my hands.

nepas

beefmann

welcome to the forum., i keep mine outside year round, though i am in so cal

Chaostrophy

Thanks for all the replies. I live in NYC so it won't get as cold or as much snow as upstate. But this gives me a general idea of what temp. extremes it can handle. Also it is good to know that it can be close to the house without any problems as my porch isn't that big (this is NYC afterall!  ;)).

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum Chaostrophy!

They have got ya pretty well set!  I will say do not leave the smoker unattended (as in overnight)....I speak from experience!  ::)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!