• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

first ham, plus some kicked up Horseshoe sauce (maybe)

Started by squirtthecat, July 25, 2009, 02:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I picked up a cheap bone-in ham at Schnuck's this week.    Warmed it up a bit and used someones 'basic rub' on it.  100 minutes of Maple smoke at 200 degrees. (or so - more on that later)   Pulled when my old Maverick read 140.  4 hours total.

Looks great!

I need to find some bigger foil..   This was like a 5 year old wrapping a punctured soccer ball.

And into the cooler to hang out until I get home from church.

RE: temps.  It was very windy today, so I made a windbreak from the OBS cover and a nearby chair.

That helped quite a bit.  I did something earlier this week in the wind and had all kinds of problems.

Suprisingly enough, this helped as well. (carved the bottom off w/ my paring knife)

Mad Science Experiment time..

We had some leftover cheese sauce from the cafeteria at work (had 'Horseshoes' for lunch - will get you some links if you've never heard of that Springfield, Illinois delicacy)

So - what the heck.  Spice it up with some of the rub ingredients (except sugar), and a shot of Maker's Mark.   It went later on w/ 20 minutes of smoke for fun.    I turned the cabinet heater off for now and am just letting the smoke generator keep it hot.   

Looks promising:

My version of a smoked ham horseshoe.   Except I'm out of sliced bread and french fries.

Oh well, I'll just do dinner 'fondue' style and see how it works.

mikecorn.1

That ham looks great. Bet it taste delish. Oh, the only thing i know about horseshoes, is the kind that go on horses.  ;D
Mike

Up In Smoke

Horseshoes??
i would be interested in a recipe for sure. can you do them in a deep fryer if you hang the
horse by the tail?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

squirtthecat

Here is some history and a couple different recipes.   Everyone claims they have the "original" recipe, but you try them around town, and they are all subtly different. (or downright awful - think Velveeta int he microwave)

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Sandwiches/HorseshoeSandwich.htm

http://www.cooking.com/Recipes-and-More/recipes/Horseshoe-Sandwich-recipe-5384.aspx

http://www.recipezaar.com/Horseshoe-Sandwich-Copycat-113469

Basically, a slightly spicy white cheese sauce served over a layers of (from the bottom up)

2 pieces of bread
choice of meat (ham/hamburger/turkey are the local favorites)
pile of french fries

I've had one on St Paddy's day made with corned beef & cabbage (just a little, almost like grilled onions) covered in a Guinness Beer based sauce.

FLBentRider

That sounds very interesting.

I about spit my dinner on my screen reading about the foil.

You can find bigger foil in the food service section of Sam's club, Costco, BJ's....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

2 hours of FTC later.

Sweet biscuits..

I was so excited to slice into it that I cut the @#$! out of my finger.   Fortunately, the rub shmeared all over my hands help singe/cauterize the cut.  Yowza.

Any carving tips?  I've never cooked a bone-in ham before...

HawkeyeSmokes

1st tip is DON'T cut your finger!!  ;D Next, I would put it cut side down and start slicing it on the side away from the bone. I've had poor luck carving it any other way but that's just me.
By the way, that ham looks great!! Congrats.
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Thanks!  I'd already started it backwards from that and pretty much mutilated it.. (after glueing my finger back together) 

But it's still out of this world good.   

Will have to try it again with a smaller boneless ham.    That's what I wanted to play with, but these 9 pound monsters were in abundance - and on sale.

The cheese sauce is Ok..   But far too rich.  (overpowers the tasty ham) Scratch that idea.

Tenpoint5

Squirt looks and sounds great!! If you have all them 9lb hams laying around you should cure one up!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Roadking

Boy that sure looks goods, mouth is watering just looking at it. Nice job!!   ;D

squirtthecat

FYI - it was already cured..

I'm not that ambitious!