Chicken Sandwiches

Started by Oldman, February 13, 2005, 03:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

<b>Warning this is a non-smoked item!</b>

I stopped to pick up a small ham when I notice these large chicken quarters (leg and thigh) for 57 cent per pound. Now I know everyone here always post about chicken breast and how great it is. However, I can tell you right now that when it comes to a <b>sauted chicken sandwich</b> you can keep that breast and hand me the chicken quarters.

Now below are a few photos, but at last I'm sorry to say that we got to eating them as fast as I could put them together and forgot to get shots of the finished product. The meat ends up a whiten-gray-ash in color--there are no dark spots. Very moist, and firm.

There are four items I use in the marinade.
Teryiaki Sauce.
Extra Dry Vermouth.
Kikkoman Soy Sauce.
Fresh Ginger.

Mixture:
Teryiaki Sauce and Dry Vermouth equal amounts.
Soy Sauce one tablespoon.
Fresh Ginger 3 inches of a root the size of a quarter (coin.)

In this first photo you will see that there are three legs up top that have been boned-out and fat and skin remove. Also there is the chicken skin & fat, and the bones.  All parts of this will be used. Nothing here goes to waste.  The bones etc. are frozen for later use to create a chicken broth.  

I took this picture to show that I leave the skins on the ginger and that I only chop the ginger up.

As you can see I'm using everyday run of the mill items to create the marinade.  

Now while the chicken is in the marinade (90 minutes maximum) slowly render out the chicken fat and skin. Or as they would say in the 1800's try out the meat skin.  Now once the rendering is done and if your heart can stand it take the skin add some salt and eat it! Believe me everyone fights over the rendered skin.

Sorry to say but this is where the pictures stopped. You can see that I lightly steam the buns, and the next patch of chicken is being sauted in the rendering from the chicken skin and fat. As I said nothing is wasted here. I serve this with mayo and lettuce only. Tomotoe IMO takes away. You will take note that the chicken in this photo is one 1/2 of a chicken quarter--told ya they were large!

Give a try sometime. I promise this will be the best chicken sauted sandwich you have ever had... if the ingredients agree with ya, <b>and all for just 57 cents per pound!</b>

EDIT: I sometimes use this same marinade on steaks if I'm going to grill directly over oak wood. Serve with a nice red chilled wine.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

OK,
It is time for me to confess. I do not like chicken breast. Someone else on this forum doesn't like chicken breast either. I forgot who it was, but they responded to an earlier post. Also the combination of bacon and chicken did nothing but increase my dislike for chicken breast (although I like chicken breat in salads).

I know that your recipe must have come out great. I have been experimenting with chicken thighs using a recipe that Angelo posted, and he is on to something. Right now I am infusing some dry sherry with fresh ginger root, and waiting for my Eel sauce to arrive. I am planning on making two batches of brine/marinade. One with Eel suace the other without. I believe that once I get the right combination, this brine/marinade will go good with dark meat of turkey and chicken, duck and beef.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

H.S.

It must be hard to try every exotic meat out there...you know, everyone says, "It tastes like chicken!"   [:D][:D]  I agree that the darker meat has a little more flavor, but do like chicken breast!  It is so versatile!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Right now I am infusing some dry sherry with fresh ginger root<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

HS I have always found that sherry was too sweet, and given that ginger will be sweet in the end it is just too much. Especially if you are using Teryiaki Sauce. That is why I add the Soy Sauce to blunt some of the sweetness. Plus it will do for all of the salt you will need.

Next by boning the meat all of that overly dark (bloody) areas will cook out. If it is really bad you can cut it out.

Of all of the ideas I've come up with in my time this simple recipe IMO rates a 9.5 out of a 10. If I have 5-6 persons over I cannot make them fast enough. Believe me, the chicken thighs will not taste like chicken at all. Adding only  mayo, lettuce and it just works.

I'm going to mess around with this fixture and do a roll, but instead of rapping it in bacon I thinking more like a thin slices of sirlon. Also replacing the ham with thin slices of sirlon--all of it being  marinated in this mixture. For the cheese I'm thinking Munckie Cheese which is a soft mild white cheese. Very tasty. I'm also thinking of either Maple or Pecan wood.  

I will do this Monday or Tuesday while it is on my mind.
Olds

EDIT: I use to take Turkey Breast and slice it 3/8 - 1/2 of an inch thick and fry it. When I got done with it everyone always thought it was the best juiciest fried boneless pork chop they have ever had... If you are interested I will sit back and see if I can remember how I did this. I remember it was a flash (very hot) fried with fresh garlic and black pepper. The garlic was not served as it would be blackened and bitter tasting; however, it served it purpose. The frying was a fast continuous turning. The oil do to the high heat was peanut. The pan would be smoking!!

In fact I got a job years back running several cafeterias after serving this to the owners. [:)] At first they thought I was kidding until I showed them. [^]
http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I'm not one for turkey breast either, but if you can make it taste like a pork chop, well now you've peaked my interest. I would be interested in that. I will be trying your marinade very soon. What was the amounts on the Teriyaki and Vermouth.

As for the ginger infused sherry, I will be using that in a modified version of Angelo's recipe. It is a sweet marinade to begin with (containing apple cider and brown sugar), and I will be using Chinese Soy Suace (no Teriyaki).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)