• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Advice on converting a sauna in to hanging "shed"?

Started by rmockler, September 05, 2009, 10:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmockler

Greetings! New to the forum. I have a sauna attached to the house I just bought. I like ham and sausage way better than I like saunas, and am working on finding a way to convert it in to a hanging room, which means temp and humidity control in a fairly good sized (roughly 6X8X7) space. Humidity not so difficult, but trying to find economical temp option. I live in Seattle, btw.

Any advice?

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure of what type of heating source you have, but here is a good source for temperature controllers.
Ranco ETC Store

You may also want to take a look at these controllers also.
Auber Instruments

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there rmockler and welcome to the forum.

I dont have any thing to add to what HS has said but I would love to see the photos of the converted sauna if you ever go ahead and do it.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

NePaSmoKer

Hi rmockler

There are a couple things to look for.

Find out what kind of wood the sauna is. If its any kind of cedar or redwood i would not use it for doing sausage. Any other type of wood your good with. If your wood is ok and you go ahead with putting a heat source in your pretty much stuck with a smokehouse, you wont be able to convert it back to a sauna because of the smoke.

Steam and smoke is good for some sausages.

nepas

rmockler

Thank you all! The cedar issue may be the killer and is a great point. I do have a plan b, though.

I appreciate it.
Richard Mockler