Pork Chops - DO I have to brine before smoking?

Started by oakville smoker, July 30, 2009, 10:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

Another question

Yes I have tons
I have some awesome looking pork chops sitting in the freezer I would love to smoke
All the recipes I have looked at suggest brining
I have nothing against brining, just that I cannot get Mortons or anything else around here to create the brine
I see there is a recipe for a pork loin that does not call for a brine, just a sit in apple juice and a few other adds overnight

Any suggestions here would be appreciated.  I would hate to just put these on the grill when the smoker is sitting rigt beside it
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

westexasmoker

Just pulled a porkloin out of the brine and is in the smoker as I type....My other favorite thing is to Jerk a loin, which is simply mustard, jalapenos, onion and garlic all chopped and mixed then slathered over your porkloin for a rest overnight.  Heres one I did a while back

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9808.0

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

I don't always brine, but if you do, they will be juicier since the brine pulls salt and moisture into the meat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Quote from: oakville smoker on July 30, 2009, 10:47:53 AMI have nothing against brining, just that I cannot get Mortons or anything else around here to create the brine

You don't need Mortons to brine pork chops; it's used for curing (more of a method of preservation) and all you're trying to do is use a brine to add some moisture and flavor.

FLBentRider

I use either pickling salt or kosher salt for a brine.

My Pork butt brine has water, salt, molasses.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakville smoker

Thank you much
I will pick some salt up today and create a brine for these puppies
Happy smoking all !
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?