• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Meat cuts for jerky

Started by telman, July 13, 2009, 09:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

telman

I have been using eye round to make jerkies. I will be trying different cuts later. Anyway so far it looks like my jerkies are big hit. Wife, 2.5 year old son ( we do not let other little one to eat jerkies just yet :) ) and Brother liked very much. I made 2LB Alberta beef jerky and 2LB HM Hot & Sweet, and they lasted only 2 days. I like Alberta beef jerky is my new favorite.
I am trying to improve my cuts so they are even, I have seen some cutting trays and special knifes online. I was wondering what everybody else is using. I have been partially freeze meat, and cut with fillet knife. I am thinking to make my own cutting tray...

your help is appreciated .

Telman

NePaSmoKer

Any meat cut will work for jerky.
As for cutting with fancy cutting systems, Been there done that. Save your hard earned $ and just use good knifes.

Here is what i use.

nepas

telman

Thanks Nepas, Slicing knife is on my list too :).  So far I have been using boning and fillet knifes.   

sherlock

I mostly use eye round and cut it chilled with a good "chefs" knive. Try to keep it 1/4" think but it varies a little. No biggie.

Gizmo

Eye is what I use the most, but really what ever cut is on sale will work.  Eye, Top Round, London, flank.  Flank is almost a never as the price is usually around 5 dollars a pound here due to the popularity of Fajitas.  I look for the meat with as little fat (marbling) as possible.  Eye is usually great as the way they have it packaged here, there is a ribbon of fat on one side that cuts off easily.  Then usually only one vein in the middle that is very small and negligible.  One market here has top round that has no fat at all and is no trim.  This is my favorite but it runs $4.50 or more a lb so I stopped buying it.
I use a meat slicer as I can slice it faster and more even so for me is less time at the counter and easier on my back.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

I use eye round as well.

I cut the fat off, usually cut the roast into thirds the long way, and then cut those pieces in half with the grain.

into the freezer for 3-4 hours, then onto my deli slicer.

HM cure, our own garlic and cracked black pepper.

Into the fridge for at least 24 hours.

Most of the time it goes directly into the dehydrator @150F for 4-6 hours.

I usually do about 15 pounds (raw weight) at a time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

telman

thank you all, I want to go a local butcher shop and see what they are charging for eye round. Also I will also ask them about flank stake, heard about it a lot but never tried.

FLBentRider

I get mine @ Sams club, usually from the "reduced for quick sale" section.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

chris_richmond

I use silver side cut along the grain and it comes out levly.

Cheers ~Chris

Piker

hI BEEN GONE FOR AWHILE OUT TO THE LAKE AND HAVE BEEN MAKING JERKY FOR ALL THE PEOPLE OUT THERE. HAVE TRIED MANY DIFF. CUTS AND HAVE FOUND EYE OF ROUND TO BE THE BEST. I WEIGH BEFORE AND AFTER WITH A GOOD SCALE AND HAVE FOUND THAT I LOSE ABOUT 45%. ALL OF THE OTHERS AS OUTSIDE AND INSIDE ROUND LOSE AS MUCH AS 60%. vENISON IS ALSO GOOD BUT I AM OUT OF IT NOW 2\1\2 MONTHS TO GO. I DONT MAKE IT VERY TOUGH AS I LEAVE IT VERY PLIABLE FOR US OLD FOLKS TO CHEW. tHKS PIKER