• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Grrr pucks didn't advance

Started by DoubleTSmoker, August 13, 2009, 03:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleTSmoker

I put in a pork loin today at lunch.  Had it all fixed up with bacon and Jalapenos.  I got home from work and ran in and checked the et73 in the kitchen.  Everything was looking good temp wise.  Went out to check the smoker and only 3 pucks advanced.  I pressed the puck advance and it tried to advance, but it would not open up far enough for a puck to drop down.  After some blowing and shaking I got it going again.  I am thinking that some debris got behind there?  Has anyone had this problem?  Do you have to take the generator apart and clean it every few times?  I am just really disappointed, I haven't tasted it yet but I am thinking I might have well just put it in the oven.

FLBentRider

Did you happen to re-seat the puck feed tube ?

I've seen where it can get off-kilter and cause feed issues.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DoubleTSmoker

Yes, I may have been messing with the tube.  So, what do you have to do to the tube to make sure it doesn't cause problems?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: DoubleTSmoker on August 13, 2009, 03:55:42 PM
Yes, I may have been messing with the tube.  So, what do you have to do to the tube to make sure it doesn't cause problems?

Both something obstructing the path of the drive, and an improperly inserted feeder tube can cause the problem. For the feeder tube make sure that it is seated straight and that it is fully inserted. It should rest on a lip.

Also it may be that one or more of the bisquettes were not loaded correctly. Occasionally if I am in a hurry, and quickly load my bisquettes I may not notice that one may be on a slight angle, and this can cause the bisquettes to get jammed while it is dropping down onto the drive. It that was the cause shaking it could have unjarred it.

Here is a link to FAQ's you may want to take a look at:

Bradley Smoker FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

you did get 60 min of smoke on it, I'll bet its still tasty maybe not as much smoke as you wanted but it should be good eats.

DoubleTSmoker

Well I really think that the problem was puck debris behind the pusher.  I am just going to remember to blow it out  with the compressor every so often.  The pork was still very tasty.  Only one slice left over, everyone went back multiple times.  I can just imagine how much better it would have been with some more smoke.

On another note, this was the first time I smoked(or cooked in this case) with a brick in the smoker.  I think the brick made a world of difference for recovery.  I am using a solid paver brick that I had left over from the front yard.  Just stuck it in there to the right of the bowl.  I think it cut the temperature drop in half when I opened the door. 

pensrock

I've got fire bricks and pieces of fire brick in mine, as much as I can fit in, I also preheat 30-50 degrees over my smoking/cooking temp, gets everything nice and hot before putting ang food in. glad the pork came out good, next time should be even better.

poolside smoker

I had this problem from day 1,   to solve it  I cleaned the wood feeder real good,  then sprayed on a light coating of olive oil,   this seemed to do the trick,  the puck door opens fully,  pucks drop and no issues.   I re-coat it about every 4th smoke. 

good luck

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: poolside smoker on August 14, 2009, 04:56:53 PM
I had this problem from day 1,   to solve it  I cleaned the wood feeder real good,  then sprayed on a light coating of olive oil,   this seemed to do the trick,  the puck door opens fully,  pucks drop and no issues.   I re-coat it about every 4th smoke. 

good luck

Hi Poolside;

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your tip. You don't have any problems with the olive oil gumming up over time, or collecting more debris?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

joerom

Hello,
      Mu puck advance would chatter a little sometimes.Then it would miss dropping a puck once in a while.When I installed the PID,I noticed the bracket that the puck mechanism is mounted on was not exactly straight with the mechanism.I bent the bracket a little,and now my mechanism works perfectly.This was my only problem and was no big deal.I did not give it much thought until I read your post.
                             Joe.

OU812

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 15, 2009, 02:28:28 AM
Quote from: poolside smoker on August 14, 2009, 04:56:53 PM

good luck

Hi Poolside;

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your tip. You don't have any problems with the olive oil gumming up over time, or collecting more debris?

I thought the same thing about using something oil based, so i use food grade spray non-stick, the same stuff i use for my grinder plates and knifes so they dont oxidize when in storage