Help! Lights on smoker and PID are flashing

Started by BigFella, August 29, 2009, 01:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigFella

Hey everybody.  I smoked a couple of racks last night and had a few minor problems and noticed that near the end of the smoke that the green light on my PID as well as the red lights on the OBS were flashing every 10-20 seconds.  Then today I put in a butt and the same thing is happening...

Can anyone tell me what this means?  My box temp is a little higher than what I had it programmed for and I have also been having to manually advance the pucks today after the first three went just fine.  I know I need to clean out the smoke generator and I think that might be my problem there.

But I'm not sure what the flashing lights mean?!

Thanks!
BF

FLBentRider

The light "power" light on the tower of my OBS will flash when the PID is cycling the unit on and off.

This usually happens when the smoker has made it back up to temp, the PID is cycling the power on and off to maintain the set temp.

I'm not sure if I ever noticed the lights on the PID.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

I don't have any experience with the plug & play PIDs but I suspect that FLB is right on the money. I know my PIDs have a light that comes on when they are applying power so I would assume the plug & play models would as well. It would also stand to reason the light on the OBS tower would come on when power is being applied to it by the PID.

As far as the smoke generator goes, I would certainly start by taking it apart and giving it a cleaning, then give it another shot.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

OU812

BigFella

I have the 1800 watt "Sous Vide Cooking Controller" its what Auber had b4 the plug n play. The green light on the left is the power indicator, when its lit there is power going to your heating element when its not there is no power.
The on and off is the PID cycling to keep the temp steady. Sometimes the PID will over shoot when you first start but once the cabnet temp balances out you should not see much temp difference.

The smoke generator sounds like the puck pusher might be sticking, a good cleaning should help. I try to clean mine about every month.

pensrock

I agree with what the others have said, lights coming on/off, normal operation. Pucks not advancing most likely a cleaning issue.