• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

re-usable turkey timers

Started by Quarlow, September 13, 2009, 07:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Has anyone used these timers? the instructions say"The indicator will start to slide out from the housing as the core temperature meat reaches "medium" temperature(160F/75C). The indicator will gradually become fully extended as the core reaches "well done" temperature(185F/85C)".

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

HawkeyeSmokes

The only ones I have used came with the turkey. And those are junk. On the grill, it popped out saying it was done to perfection in about 30 minutes for a 12 pound turkey. Talk about fast cooking!  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

LOL. Well I pick this one up at the grocery store and will test and report my finding just for fun.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

If it is even accurate, if you take your turkey 185- 'well done', you will have a football to try to eat!
I only do turkey breasts, and I pull them at 150 before FTC.  (2 hours later, you'll be in the 'safe to eat' range)

Quarlow

Actually I was thinking of trying it in a brisket or a butt roast.

OBS
BBQ

HawkeyeSmokes

Then for sure don't buy it. Either get a remote like the Maverick or use the fork test. With the fork, just insert and twist, if it turns easy, the brisket or butt is done. But the remote is the best choice in I think.
HawkeyeSmokes

Hopefull Romantic

I will take my Maverick ET 73 over any thing else any time.

The last time I trusted one that came with the turkey, a similar thing happend to me as HS. It poped out an hoyr later and that was in the oven.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Quarlow

LOL, ;) you guys missed the whole point"just for fun" I have proper thermometer and will use it. Honestly sometimes you guys are to serious, I have been studying this forum for six months and some of it has sunk in. You're the guru's the miester's and some of you are the zen Buddha's yuk yuk :D :) A person couldn't hang out here and not learn something.

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

Sorry, I thought you had purchased in to use in lieu of a Maverick or similar thermometer..   ;)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Quarlow on September 13, 2009, 09:56:50 PM
LOL, ;) you guys missed the whole point"just for fun" I have proper thermometer and will use it. Honestly sometimes you guys are to serious, I have been studying this forum for six months and some of it has sunk in. You're the guru's the miester's and some of you are the zen Buddha's yuk yuk :D :) A person couldn't hang out here and not learn something.

LOL. I was heading to the bottom of the thread in a flash to give my 2 cents opininon on those things and something made me go back up and read and saw this post. Good one.  :D
Mike

Caribou

I am going out on a limb here but I buy turkey here locally from a brand called Norbest and the timer that comes with them pops out at 165F.
I never rely on the little pop out thingie but I leave it in to see at what IT they come out at.  I've done about 5 double-checking and they have popped out at the correct temp every time.
But this was in the oven, not the grill or smoker.
I'm pretty certain that 165F is the FDA "approved" IT for poultry, 180F would be awfully dry. :P
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

NePaSmoKer

Throw that thing away and get a Thermapen.

nepas

Caribou

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 14, 2009, 10:23:07 AM
Throw that thing away and get a Thermapen.

nepas
But it's "re-usable"!
:D :D :D :D
Carolyn