• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cabelas venison seasoning

Started by watchdog56, September 16, 2009, 07:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I am planning on making some snack sticks using Cabela's smokehouse brand seasoning. Has anyone used this? Will be using 6 lbs of venison to 4 lbs of trimmed pork butt. Never done this before it looks like everything is in Cabela's package including casings. Do I need to mix meat and cure then let sit? If so how long? What is best wood for smoking venison? Do I apply smoke right away? Plan on getting IT to 152 then pulling. Sticks will be refrigerated.

Tenpoint5

Nepas is the resident Cabelas expert he should be along shortly to answer your question
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Hey watchdog

Cabelas packaged seasoning are made and packaged by PS Seasonings in Iron Ridge WI. They are very good and far more superior compaired to HM

Some of the snack stick packs have both the dry and the casings. The dry only is $19.99 and the kit is $24.99. When i use the Cabelas i mix, stuff and smoke, However you can stuff and fridge overnight.

I think i would go with 8 lbs venison and 2 lbs pork. Smoke is up to you, oak, hickory, apple, pecan and alder is good.

Pre heat your smoke to 130* then hang sticks for about an hour so the casings get tacky. Then apply 3 to 6 pucks of wood and heat at 150*. After the smoke has stopped bump heat to 160*. Check IT of sticks then bump to 170* check again if need be bump to 180* then dont go no higher. IT of sticks will level for some time before getting to the 150-152* you need. Like i said try not to go past 180* or you will fat-out the sticks.

Hope this helps some.

nepas

watchdog56

Do you think I will have trouble keeping temp that low(130)? Will I need to put ice in smoker? Like I said I don't have a cold smoke setup.

FLBentRider

I don't think you'll need ice, but this is where a PID comes in handy.

You didn't mention which smoker you have, so I'll assume an OBS. I would start out wil the slider about 1/4 of the way from the left, and watch the temp closely.

Edit: I would start out with just the smoke generator, that can get you into the low 100's.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

watchdog56

I have  4 rack digital and I just got my PID so will have to figure out how to set that.

watchdog56

Another question?-is it ok to use regular ground pork instead of grinding up a pork butt? I know it would be the same but would the regular ground pork be to fatty?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: watchdog56 on September 17, 2009, 03:07:19 PM
Another question?-is it ok to use regular ground pork instead of grinding up a pork butt? I know it would be the same but would the regular ground pork be to fatty?

Yes if you can get it without seasonings added.

nepas

OU812

Quote from: watchdog56 on September 17, 2009, 03:07:19 PM

If you have a grinder it would be cheaper to buy a butt and grind than buying the already ground and if you grind the whole butt take what you need for this batch and freeze the rest for the next time you make sticks.

O there will be a next time