• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Slicers

Started by oakville smoker, September 14, 2009, 09:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I was going to buy one of these things when they were on sale last week. I hummed and hawed.
would'nt you know it.  I am dying for back bacon and I see somein Costco Saturday.  Guess how it
gets sliced?  Knife.  Yeppers

Have not had much success in the briskett department and what else do I see there?  A slab of Dunn's
smoked briskett from Montreal.  Guess how it gets sliced?  Yeppers, knife.  Sore wrists by now !  LOL

Huge pork loin goes in the smoker Saturday.  Lots of leftovers.  Me being the smart one thinks I should slice this and vac seal it for another day.  Sharpen the knives again.

Morale of the story...  when slicers go on sale and you dont have one, you should buy it.  I will be
waiting for another one to go on sale soon which I hope will be sooner than later
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

ArnieM

Hi OS,

I got this sucker last year http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AKCOC/ref=ox_ya_oh_product .  I've used it for meat, tomatoes, onions, cheese, pepperoni, you name it.  It looks like a bunch of cheap plastic but works quite well.  The optional serrated blade will cut roast beef paper thin if you like it that way. As usual clean up is a pain, but not all that bad.  Anything you use on a slicer should preferably be cool and firm but my rested sirloin roast came out good.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

oakville smoker

Crappy Tire here in Ontario had the Waring Pro on sale for 99 big ones
It appeared to be a good solid unit, not commercial quality but good enough for a closet foodie
I knew I should have bought it.
But the silver lining to this cloud is my knife skills appear to be better for it !
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

squirtthecat

I just borrowed that exact same slicer from my office neighbor...  He uses it all the time and really likes it.   I'm going to slice up my turkey roast for sammies, and I only had to trade him for some vacpaked pulled pork...

I found Morton Tender Quick today at Schnuck's, so I'm going to fast track my Canadian bacon experiment.
Another reason to have quick access to a slicer!

ArnieM

Which slicer are you referring to STC?  I only use mine when I have quite a bit to slice.  Other than that, a sharp knife works quite well and is a lot easier to clean up.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on September 14, 2009, 11:34:20 AM
Which slicer are you referring to STC?  I only use mine when I have quite a bit to slice.  Other than that, a sharp knife works quite well and is a lot easier to clean up.

The one in your earlier message...   From the Amazon link.

The Mrs likes her turkey sliced 'just so', so I opted to borrow the slicer and not do it by hand. (when I do it by hand, I purposely goof and eat 1/3rd of it)

oakville smoker

I do have to get one of these.
Wish I could find Mortons up here, but no luck in that department either.
I am going to order the cures from Bradley