• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Paprika

Started by Chaostrophy, September 10, 2009, 07:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaostrophy

Anyone have a Technique for making smoked paprika? What type of wood, times, temps etc.

Thanks,

Greg

Caribou

Hi Greg,
Here's a post from SmokingDuck's blog on smoked pepper powders (chipotle and habanero)
http://lacosasmokestra.blogspot.com/2009/02/homemade-smoky-chipotle-and-smoky.html
It might be helpful.
Carolyn

Habanero Smoker

For the type of smoke, I generally use pecan for peppers. I smoke and dehydrate them, and leave them whole or in parts (depending on how they were prepared for the smoker). That way I can either reconstitute them or grind them as powder when needed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sodak

Habs,

Do you dehydrate in the smoker as the smoke rolls?

pensrock

When I smoke peppers for powders, I smoke @ 140-150 degrees for a few hours, then transfer to a dehydrator till dry.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: sodak on September 11, 2009, 06:30:31 AM
Habs,

Do you dehydrate in the smoker as the smoke rolls?

I don't have a dehydrator, so I will either use the smoker or my oven. I generally use the cold smoke setup while applying the smoke, applying about 1:40 -  2:00 hours of smoke. Then I will set my cabinet to 120°F - 140°F, occasionally rotating the racks and removing the peppers that have dried. This will take 12 - 18 hours; depending how thick and fleshy the peppers are. Using the higher temperatures of 140°F - 150°F, if using the smoker as a dehydrator, that will speed up the process, you just need to rotate more often while removing the peppers that have dried faster then the others.

If I know I know I won't be using my oven for that period of time, I will use that instead; it has has a drying feature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

Quote from: Chaostrophy on September 10, 2009, 07:21:21 PM
Anyone have a Technique for making smoked paprika? What type of wood, times, temps etc.

Thanks,

Greg

My technique is to drive over to Penzey's and purchase a nice size bottle.  If you want you could peel the label off and put your own on after that  ;D ;D ;D

Just kidding, I bet the home made stuff is great.  I really gotta get my 80L
SIA