• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

How fast should the temp rise when cooking a butt?

Started by Chaostrophy, September 09, 2009, 09:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaostrophy

I am cooking a Shoulder Butt for the first time tonight. I have the PID set at 210 and it is solid. The temperature is rising fairly steadily. It has gone up about 54 degrees in the last two hours. Is this normal or is it rising to fast?

Greg

Habanero Smoker

Hi Chaostrophy;

Welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing you are talking about the internal meat temperature rising. I don't insert my internal temperature probe until the final hours, because I rotate the racks, and I find no need to monitor the temperature at the beginning; so I probably won't be much help. But if you can provide more information it may be helpful for other to answer.

1) At what stage are you in the smoking/cooking cycle? Are you referring to the first two hours, or a period of time during the cook?

2) Is your probe in the thickest part of the meat, and push in far enough to get to the center of the meat?

3) How large is it, and is it boneless?

4) Did you brine it first?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chaostrophy

Hi Habanero,

I was referring to the smoking stage. The temp. was rising quickly and it made me a little nervous. The Butt weighs 7.5 lbs and has the bone in. I did not brine it.

It temp. has stabilized and is now slowly (approx. 1 degree every 20-30 min.) rising. I was a little alarmed at the early rate of increase as i did not expect the temp. to level out and hold after awhile. It seemed that it would finish in 5-6 hours at the rate it was going.

Thanks,
Greg

FLBentRider

I'll Assume that you are referencing the Internal temperature of the meat.

I would make sure that your probe is not in a fat pocket. Fat is denser and will read higher than the lean.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Hi Chaostrophy and welcome to the forum.

I regularly put the temp probe in when I put the butt in the smoker and in my experience you will see the IT of the meat rise relatively quickly to... maybe around 130ish. From there up to your disired IT is a whole other storey though because that is where the magic happens. I've had some butts only gain about 10 or 15 degrees over night.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

squirtthecat

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 10, 2009, 07:38:14 AM
Hi Chaostrophy and welcome to the forum.

I regularly put the temp probe in when I put the butt in the smoker and in my experience you will see the IT of the meat rise relatively quickly to... maybe around 130ish. From there up to your disired IT is a whole other storey though because that is where the magic happens. I've had some butts only gain about 10 or 15 degrees over night.

Mike

Ditto.   I've seen mine jump quickly, then stall for 8+ hours.   The last 5 degrees will take what seems an eternity..

Chaostrophy

Hi Folks,

thanks for the info. This is indeed what is happening. Yes I am referring to the internal temp. And it has leveled out. I m at the 12th hour of cooking and the is slowly nearing the my mark. And I have to tell you it smells damn good! Can't wait to eat.

Greg

Hopefull Romantic

Hey there Chaostrophy and welcome to the forum

Hope you enjoy your meal and try and remember pictures

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikecorn.1

HEy there, C. Welcome to the forum. Looks like they got you covered.  :)
Mike

OU812

Welcome to the fun of smoking Chaostrophy

So how did your first smoked pork butt turn out?

Chaostrophy

The Butt was fantastic. Took a total of 20 hrs. with FTC. Finished it off with a Carolina sauce and some cole slaw! I have picks that I will post once I read the tutorial. Thanks for all the advice.

Greg