• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Recipe Download Updated

Started by Habanero Smoker, September 16, 2009, 03:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: Kummok on September 19, 2009, 10:25:37 AM
Hmmmm...."MS-DOS Executable" file.....very few times does it suck to be a Mac user...VERY few....this is one of them.....  :'(

Habs/Olds....Thank you for ALL your work on this. Great resource!!  Almost makes me want to buy a PC just to download...  ;) ;)

There are Windoze emulators for the Mac...   What MacOS hardware/software are you running?

BigJohnT

Quote from: Kummok on September 19, 2009, 10:25:37 AM
Hmmmm...."MS-DOS Executable" file.....very few times does it suck to be a Mac user...VERY few....this is one of them.....  :'(

Habs/Olds....Thank you for ALL your work on this. Great resource!!  Almost makes me want to buy a PC just to download...  ;) ;)

Do you use OpenOffice on your Mac? I know OpenOffice is available for Linux ( I have several Linux computers) and windoz machine or three... and checking on the OpenOffice web site it is also for Mac. I'm just downloading the recipes at the moment but if it is straight forward database that can be exported perhaps I can port it to OpenOffice.

John

Habanero Smoker

John;

It is not the typical data base such as a dbf file. GS Reader stores data (information) in various textual and graphical structure, which you can copy for various sources and paste it into the program. You then can access that information using the typical tree format, such as what is used to read folders and files on a hard drive.

If your plan works, let me know.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigJohnT

Hab,

Not having much luck at the moment. Doesn't seem to be any way to export the .gso to a conventional database format.

I'll keep looking...

John

Pesu (Fumeur Pierre)

Thanks for the advice guys, this is where I have to admit I don't know what I have here, a 64 bit or a 32 ?????
I did check the "all programs" and it isn't there, this leads me to beleive I may not have sucessfully down loaded the information.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Pesu (Fumeur Pierre) on September 20, 2009, 06:08:16 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, this is where I have to admit I don't know what I have here, a 64 bit or a 32 ?????
I did check the "all programs" and it isn't there, this leads me to beleive I may not have sucessfully down loaded the information.

If this is your first time downloading, did you download both programs; Golden Section Reader and Member's Recipe and Photos? If not you must download Golden Section Reader. At the end of installation you should get a confirmation that the program installed correctly.

Since you are using Vista, it a good chance it may be 64 bit. So once Golden Section Reader is installed you may not be able to find the recipe files. It seems that 32 bit programs such as the Reader are automatically redirected and installed in a different folder. While the recipe and photo files are installed in another. This is a quote from Smokin Soon that was posted on another thread:

Quote from: Smokin Soon on September 17, 2008, 05:51:07 PM
Just a heads up to Vista 64 bit users, the gso reader installs itself in c:\program files [x86]\GSO Reader. When you install the recipe file it goes to c:\program files\GSO Reader. When you hit file open, you wont see
the file until you point it in the right direction.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kummok

ThanX Big JohnT and Squirt! Aware of these but swore off when I retired (used to be a network administrator but am now a fisherman! Life is a lot simpler now.) I may go ahead and try to download the data and import into existing database software I own but probably not....the King bite is doing well....and besides, I've talked my PC daughter downline into downloading the files so I can hygrade from them!!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Kummok on September 23, 2009, 10:56:22 PM
ThanX Big JohnT and Squirt! Aware of these but swore off when I retired (used to be a network administrator but am now a fisherman! Life is a lot simpler now.) I may go ahead and try to download the data and import into existing database software I own but probably not....the King bite is doing well....and besides, I've talked my PC daughter downline into downloading the files so I can hygrade from them!!

Kummok;

I don't believe you can convert the information stored in a GSO file into a database such as dbf. A GSO file stores the information in text and graphics files, and uses a structural tree to navigate.

Here is a link to their website so you can get a better understanding of what type of database it is.

GoldenSection Notes

I
         don't
                   inhale.