• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

six days of nirvana!

Started by Caneyscud, September 22, 2009, 06:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Starting Thursday, I'm taking the excuse of my 35th high school reunion to get back to Texas and see family - But with that I have given explicit instructions of at least the following.

1. Flying into Austin so we can hit the Salt Lick, Kruez's, Blacks, Luling City Market and possibly Elgin.  And to go to Cabela's before heading off to Seguin.  

2.  Friday - Minimum is going into San Antonio to Central Market (I always have to bring brown paper bags with me there - I hyperventilate!!), the Riverwalk and BSF headquarters, with maybe a side trip to the Majestic and the Alamo to pay respects to my ancestors that fell there.  Don't know where to eat lunch - one of my old "date" places (The Little Red Wagon, Old San Francisco Steakhouse or the Tower of Americas) or let my sisters/family select?  Probably go for the best CFS we can find.  When in Texas......  Then FRIDAY NIGHT TEXAS FOOTBALL!!  We're trying to get the old football team together, so we can be showered with accolades ( we were the last team to go deep into the playoffs)  And yes, the old Letter Jacket does fit - although with a few moth holes.  Ending up with old friends at The Oak.  Maybe we can still kick some hippie butts!  

3.  Sat. is dove hunting or maybe I should say dove shooting at! - with my best friend from high school  Apparently since I've lived there all the doves are now whitewings.  Them things is fast!  Then the real reunion and dance.  Seeing all the fat, graying, balding classmates will be fun.  I'm sure the story of the meeting of my personal privates protection device (cup) with the front of my face will come up.  sigh!  But getting to dance the 2-step, schotische, and the cotton-eyed joe again will be fun.   Memories.

4.  Sun, on to church to see a bunch of people who were instrumental in little Caney's life.  After church a Chili Cook Off.  Bring it on.  Don't know what them people will think of Nashville smack talk regarding chili!

5.  Monday - fishing Baffin Bay with Dad.  Love to eat specs, but really want to tangle with a big bull red.  I can taste those shrimp, oysters, and specs now!  or maybe a baked flounder! yummmm  Taking a 10wt and an 8wt to see if I can catch any on the fly!

6.  Tuesday - goodbyes and more BBQ on the way to the airport.  

Only thing missing is going to Bandera and the Hill Country!  Also hoping to wet a line in the Guadalupe beneath Canyon Lake and get acquainted with the trout that hide out there.  Hopefully the tube, canoe, kayak hatches won't be too heavy!  

I wish Thursday was here already!!!  I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

pensrock

Sounds like a lot of fun! Have a great time, My 10th year reunion must be coming up soon.  LOL I wish.  ;D

KyNola

Have fun CS.  Will be good to reestablish old relationships and see old friends again I'm sure.

KyNola

squirtthecat

I you have a spare afternoon in San Antonio, this is an easy drive from The Alamo, and quite interesting..

"San Antonio Missions National Historical Park"

http://www.nps.gov/saan/planyourvisit/index.htm

Area map detail:

http://www.nps.gov/saan/planyourvisit/upload/SAANmap1.pdf

Ka Honu

I WANNA GO TO LOCKHART!!!!

Were I remembering ancestors at the Alamo. I'd do it by raising a glass in their honor around the corner at the Menger Hotel bar - great restoration and atmosphere.

Lunch at Mi Tierra is always fun (but it's really a better place for the 2 AM hungries).

Enjoy the trip (even though I hate you for going when I can't).

iceman

Have a great trip Caney. Wish I could get down that way too. Already snow on the hills by the house up here. Yukko.

Caneyscud

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 22, 2009, 08:37:01 AM

I you have a spare afternoon in San Antonio, this is an easy drive from The Alamo, and quite interesting..

"San Antonio Missions National Historical Park"

Thanks Squirt, I did not know that they had a national park now.  My Nanny and Papa (Mom's) parents lived just a short walk and across the river from one of the missions - Mission Concepcion.  Used to play in the "front" yard of the mission - of course, that was before the area got real bad.  Pretty cool to explore and play in and near something you were taught about in school.  And for grins we could turn the other way and with just a slightly longer walk by street but not by shorcut, we could be at another mission - Mission San Jose.  Loved the Rose Window.  But they were stricter and could not play there.  Just for grins I looked on google to see if their house was still there.  It was - remarkable because it was old and almost falling down 35 years ago.  Even Papa's old shop was still there - it was where I learned woodworking and leathertooling.  Though the old Mulberry tree had been cut down - lots of great cobblers and fried pies started from that tree.   Nanny's fried pies, fried in lard were memorable, almost ...... no not going there, but nobody, but nobody makes them like she did.  Mom's is close, but not quite. 

Wildcat

I love the River Walk and Central Market. Wish I was going with ya. Enjoy!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

Quote from: Ka Honu on September 22, 2009, 09:16:26 AM
Not really wanting to rub it in - but na, na, na, na, na.   ;D ;D
That is why the arrival at Austin Airport in lieu of San Antonio!

Were I remembering ancestors at the Alamo. I'd do it by raising a glass in their honor around the corner at the Menger Hotel bar - great restoration and atmosphere.

You know that sounds like a wonderful idea.  I'm sure I can talk the sis's into that!  I haven't been even close to the Menger in uhhhhh decades!

Caneyscud

Quote from: iceman on September 22, 2009, 09:24:52 AM
Have a great trip Caney. Wish I could get down that way too. Already snow on the hills by the house up here. Yukko.
Don't know Ice.  You are talking to someone who has never seen more than 8" inches of snow on the ground.  And that snow on the hills has a pull on me.  I want to visit and see bunches of snow.  Note that I did not say I wanted necessarily to live in bunches of snow - at least not for a long time!

OU812

That sounds like a good time Caney, I have never ben to Texas

Maybe one of these days when were not traveling the mid west chasing a yellow ball around, my daughter plays fast pitch select softball, we can get away and see the rest of the country. 120 games this year alone

Ka Honu

Quote from: Caneyscud on September 22, 2009, 10:03:21 AM
Not really wanting to rub it in - but na, na, na, na, na.   ;D ;D
That is why the arrival at Austin Airport in lieu of San Antonio!

Funny story - I was at a reunion of old restaurant & bar buddies (mostly from Hawaii and the west coast) in Austin last year and, after three days of eating at various, supposedly good barbeque places, I put my foot down and dragged a bunch of them off to Lockhart.  After brisket and sausage at Kreuz Market, all I got was grief.  The standard comment went, "You knew about this and let us eat cardboard for three days?" 

Where's the love?

Hopefull Romantic

CS, sounds like you have a great plan. It looks like too much work and travel to be a nirvana.

Enjoy your walk down memory lane and have a safe trip.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

Caneyscud, You come back to Texas and you might not be able to leave.