• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Plate Pastrami???

Started by ArnieM, September 23, 2009, 07:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

No, I haven't done any.

I went to my deli guy who had some.  I said, "What, you put it on a plate?"  He said no, it comes from the plate, not the flat.  I asked where the plate was from and he said "Toward the middle, just before you go non-Kosher.  It's a bit more fatty and goes well heated." 

So, in my usual adventurous way, I sprung for a half pound (5.99/lb).  This stuff is really good!

I looked around and couldn't find any real references to it.  This place (NYC of course) sells it, pretty pricey.  http://www.moreflavorperpound.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_10&products_id=3

Do any of you have any experience with it?  How to get it?  Have you made any?  Any slam dunk recipes?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Arnie,

I just realized that the word pastrami is being used to discribe several cuts of meat and not just one. I have started a threat about old country pastrami that we have in this part of the world which seems to be different from that known in the states. I am going to order some soon and I will post a picture as soon as I have it.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

Plate if very difficult to find, because it is more profitable to separate that cut into flank and skirt steaks. This is the first I have heard of it being used for pastrami; because of the thick fat veins that run through the meat.

It is generally used to make beef bacon. That is why I have been looking for a source for beef plate for about four years now. Once I thought I found a source, placed my order and received plate skirt steak, which is nothing more the skirt steak.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

FLBentRider

I thought pastrami was a method not a cut of meat.

You can make pastrami out of brisket, turkey breast, whatever....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 24, 2009, 06:44:22 AM
I thought pastrami was a method not a cut of meat.

You can make pastrami out of brisket, turkey breast, whatever....

Agreed.  I was just wondering where the plate came from and if anyone had heard of plate pastrami.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.